Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Isn't the Contour platform still in production as the Jaguar X-Type? Are there any Jaguar owners here?

IN Jan 2001, I bought a 1995 Mystique YA, V6, 5sp. I drive 600-750 miles per week on the interstate, and this car is a real pleasure to drive. I'm at 199.5k, I'll be hitting 200k early next week! I plan to drive the car another 4-5 years. I see no reason it won't make it to 300k miles or more.

My only real complaint with the car is that the back seat is too small, and it eats water pumps every 75k. Other than that it's been a very reliable car....

I hope Contour.ORG stays around for a long time to come!

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
My CSVT is going to be on the road for as long as I'm in college. After I get out, I'm going to get a new car... but I'm not going to sell the SVT. I plan on decking it out as a local show car, because I realize how rare they are. Hell, as far as I'm aware I'm one of only two CSVT owners in my immediate area... and by "immediate area" I'm actually talking a radius of probably 100 miles.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I agree the interest is waning. Most of us that bought these cars new and have a sizeable investment in them are dwindling in numbers. The younger kids are buying them as second or third owners, and don't have the financial resources to keep them in pristine shape. I have my dealer do 100% of whatever my cars needs, and I doubt if the next owner will be financially able to afford first class service. I agree that they will be like Vegas and Pintos....forgotten in another five years. Ford Motor Company off the record hates these cars, and can't wait for the last of them to die off. Ford insiders blamed Jac Nasser for the Contour, as well as the other ills of Ford Motor Company, and they won't waste any time snuffing their parts and service support of these cars.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Beachboy:
I agree the interest is waning. Most of us that bought these cars new and have a sizeable investment in them are dwindling in numbers. The younger kids are buying them as second or third owners, and don't have the financial resources to keep them in pristine shape. I have my dealer do 100% of whatever my cars needs, and I doubt if the next owner will be financially able to afford first class service. I agree that they will be like Vegas and Pintos....forgotten in another five years. Ford Motor Company off the record hates these cars, and can't wait for the last of them to die off. Ford insiders blamed Jac Nasser for the Contour, as well as the other ills of Ford Motor Company, and they won't waste any time snuffing their parts and service support of these cars.

I'm one of those younger owners. I may not have the financial resources to buy all the aftermarket parts I'd like to, but I am able to keep my car in top shape, and I intend to do that at the very least. On the whole though, you are correct.

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Hey Rishodi, I agree many of you young guys can keep these cars in great shape, but from what I've seen in general, most of these cars end up in the hands of single mothers (ie, welfare queens) and others who buy them simply because they are cheap (thanks to their horrible depreciation). After the second or third owners, too many of them end up as literal beaters.

Since mine will have in excess of 200,000 miles on it, I can only imagine the type of person that would buy a car with that many miles. And I don't plan on getting rid of mine until it develops a serious problem, most likely a dead transmission. Even at that point, it will have a virgin back seat and an-almost virgin passenger seat.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z

These are gonna be the cars in 30 years people are trying to find parts to restore them because they had them in high school and college. But their just won't be the parts for them...

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I too am one of the younger owners,at 19 right now. Literally every dollar I make at work gets put into this car,and then some. All my other cars were failed attempts at project cars and huge wastes of money in the end. (pair of '87 Celica GTS's,pair of 2nd gen Mazda RX7's,'98 Mystique zetec). In 3 years of driving,I'm already on my 7th car,so as you can see,a huge loss of money on all those cars,because I modified,or atleast started to,every one of those cars and 2 of them ended up at the wreckers,one I sold dirt cheap and traded the other in for the Contour.

I bought my Contour after thoroughly researching (ie: test driving a '95 SE V6 5 speed with a fresh engine,lol). The Contour is the perfect car for my needs. It was cheap,it looks good,it has 4 doors (cheaper on insurance) for practicality,a good sized trunk,lots of power,fun to drive,and a good base to mod with.

I've had my car for 3 months this week,and I have already spent just a tad over $5000 on repairs and mods if you can believe it. It was a one owner car,and completely original right from the suspension to the water pump.

But I love my car,and I really don't know what I'd buy if for some reason I needed to get a car to replace it.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

These are gonna be the cars in 30 years people are trying to find parts to restore them because they had them in high school and college. But their just won't be the parts for them...

I don't agree. In 30 years, nobody is going to remember these cars or care. They are going to be about as popular as a '70 Maverick, a '71 Vega, or a '68 Rambler American. They won't even last as long as the cars I've mentioned....because the computerized fuel injection system will make them too costly to fix, even for shade tree mechanics. I can keep a '60 Ford Falcon running easily, but anything with electronics is going to be headed to the junk heap.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I've lost my interest in them.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Beachboy:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

I don't agree. In 30 years, nobody is going to remember these cars or care. They are going to be about as popular as a '70 Maverick, a '71 Vega, or a '68 Rambler American. They won't even last as long as the cars I've mentioned....because the computerized fuel injection system will make them too costly to fix, even for shade tree mechanics. I can keep a '60 Ford Falcon running easily, but anything with electronics is going to be headed to the junk heap.

While I agree the cars will long be forgotten someday,I want to disagree about the cost of repairing the elctronics and stuff. In 20 years or so,all the electronics on the cars will be so outdated,they'll be dirt cheap to buy.

Anyways,that's not exactly my opinion,just something I read somewhere a couple years ago and thought it was a pretty good point.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard