Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I'm on my 2nd Contour/Mystique.

I bought a 98 Mystique zetec ztx last year from my aunt and uncle for cheap and it was a great car. I liked everything about it,except the engine and tranny,and after joining CEG soon discovered the wonderful world of the Duratec 2.5 and 3.0 engines. Just a few months ago,I got bored with the Zetec ATX and decided since I loved it so much,I'm going to go out and buy the car I want this time. Well,I didn't have the money sitting around to buy an SVT (but with the money I've spent on my car now,I actually could have bought one!) but I was able to find a V6 MTX dirt cheap in better shape than my Mystique.

I love my Contour so much that if someone came to my door right now and was willing to give me a stupid amount of money for the car,it would be tempting with the cash sitting infront of me,but I wouldn't sell it. Ok,maybe I would....but I'd go buy another one,but an SVT! haha. But no,I can't see myself selling my car anytime in the near future.

My car is a 1995 GL V6 MTX with almost 277 000km on the original engine. I've replaced just about every part on the car since I bought it on May 1,2005.

Current mods include:
SVT E1 rims with 225/50/16 Potenza RE730 tires (need replacing next season)
SE side skirts
Full set of Silverstars
tinted windows
Vibrant intake
Ford racing 9mm wires
Cleaned out TB
Removed resonator
Magnaflow high flow cat
Ractive muffler
painted engine bay stuff,grille,brake calipers and interior trim.

Parts replaced include:
Rear struts and springs
Rear brake rotors and pads
E-brake cable
Front brake pads
Tires
water pump and WP belt
Plug wires
Both drive shafts and front wheel bearings
transmission

So,in exactly 3 months,I've dropped over $4500 into my car. Next year it will be repainted,lowered and I plan to either do up my motor a little more or just go all out and do a 3L swap.

I just don't want to get rid of this car,and I think the Contour is one of the best relatively unknown platforms with so much potential inside. That's why I love these cars,because nobody expects to see what some of us have done to our cars. We are truly different. or nuts.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I think I'll be keeping the SVT for a long time. I'll fix or replace whatever breaks. I really want to keep it as my 2nd car when I get a new one in a few years which will most likely be a C5.

Justin 1999 Ford SVT Contour (T-Red) Cardomain site
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
A friend of mine has a '98 Vette. It's a great car, LOTS of fun to drive (too bad his is a slushbox though). However I couldn't stand owning one because it attracts so much attention, most of which is undesirable. Cops follow you, people don't let you into traffic, people walking down the street yell "DO A BURNOUT!", and every jackass with a F-Body, Mustang, or Monte Carlo SS wants to race. You can't run to the store to get a pack of smokes without feeling like you're in some kind of parade.

Personally, a Caddy CTS-V would be more up my alley. Comparable (if not better) performance, without the "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" styling.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by rearden:

Personally, a Caddy CTS-V would be more up my alley. Comparable (if not better) performance, without the "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" styling.

what? I can spot a V from prob 200 yards away - try again!

as for the original posts -

I along with other people still have an enthusist mindset about contours. I dont think ill own one again for a LONG time - maybe sometime down the road ill pick up another T-red 98 and love it again, but I havnt lost the interest in the platform, just the desire to put up with its charictaristic problems.

Tea 82 242Ti Proud former owner - Samantha '98 SVT #2253 Reborn Aug 21 2002 Cobra Paradise
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
00 SVT w/ 34,000 miles

Major mods:
3.0 w/ 3,000 miles
Torsen
SPEC clutch, flywheel
OZ Superleggeras
Baer brakes
Konis + GCs
rear bucket seats
etc. etc. etc.

Money spent:

I average about 500 miles per year, and figure to be one of the last remaining CEGers.

...........i figure to be one of the last remaing ones as well..well one of the last pre98 se's...i'll never get rid of it..i mean 110k+ and i'm still dropping money in mods on it like it was only 4 years old not nearly 10

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
00 SVT w/ 34,000 miles

Major mods:
3.0 w/ 3,000 miles
Torsen
SPEC clutch, flywheel
OZ Superleggeras
Baer brakes
Konis + GCs
rear bucket seats
etc. etc. etc.

Money spent:

I average about 500 miles per year, and figure to be one of the last remaining CEGers.

...........i figure to be one of the last remaing ones as well..well one of the last pre98 se's...i'll never get rid of it..i mean 110k+ and i'm still dropping money in mods on it like it was only 4 years old not nearly 10

I plan to have my contour for a long time also. its on'y got 76k on it at the moment and running strong, less a small oil leak I need to track down

my mystique is still runnin strong to, plan to rebuild that engine when it goes as the body is on better shape then my 99 per surface rust that is under the car

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
It kinda take a little chip off the block from said comment.

I know I'm newb as far as cars go. But I've learned ALOT, possibly even more then I need to know about cars, in the year I've owned the Tour! And pretty much all of it is from this site! Everyone here is awesome in their wealth of knowledge.

And if my SE atx dies I'm going ISO of either an svt or an se manual. And depending how it dies I may keep it and use one for the 3L conversion.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
It kinda take a little chip off the block from said comment.

I know I'm newb as far as cars go. But I've learned ALOT, possibly even more then I need to know about cars, in the year I've owned the Tour! And pretty much all of it is from this site! Everyone here is awesome in their wealth of knowledge.

And if my SE atx dies I'm going ISO of either an svt or an se manual. And depending how it dies I may keep it and use one for the 3L conversion.

"...In Search of, Of."

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
My willingness to stick with my tour is probably a mix of economic sense and the fact that it's a pretty fun car to drive.

I've still got a year left on it, and I don't want another car payment for at least a few years. Plus, I've put around $3,000 into my car in repairs. So my options are few: sell it for the amount left I owe for it (I'd say I'd be safe selling it for what I owe on it--it has 103,000 and will need some scratch/dent repair) and buy a beater (which I might end up pouring money into anyway); trade it in and get a new car payment (not part of the plan!); or just drive it until it disintegrates in the street (while performing necessary mechanical repairs and maintenance, of course).

I think I'm just going to drive it as long as I can. There are worse cars you could be stuck with. My only thing is the car-guy in me always has the itch to drive something else, just for the sake of driving something else.

Old car: '98 SVT T-Red K&N air filter; Ford Focus RS shift knob. Off to be auctioned off somewhere. New car: 2003 Honda Accord DX Sedan, 5-speed.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I've also been thinking about finding a cheap Contour or Mystique to use as a winter beater and then as a parts car come spring. My Mystique last winter was the best car I've ever driven in the snow,and this winter is the last winter (first winter I'll have this car) this car will ever see while I own it.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard