Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
It is caused by a resonance and I think it has to do with the spring rate on the IAC plunger valve. If a pulsation begins then it will vibrate back and forth from the waves in the air.
I would recommend a baffle of some sort, not a tube. A long tube looks really ugly but a baffle could be inserted inside the tube. Sort of like a "Tornado" mod does on the intake. I've never been a fan of the copper plug because of greatly reduced airflow.
You could make one out of sheet metal to insert into the tube.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
I've never been a fan of the copper plug because of greatly reduced airflow.

That's the whole point Tom.

It's not called "The Throttle Hang Fix" for nothing.

The original reason for being done (per Ray) is to limit the airflow through the IAC during shifting. The PCM holds the IAC wide open to help burn off the extra fuel and thus the engine hangs for a second.

It was not designed as an anti-moosing mod. However because it restricts flow reverberations it does that to some extent as well.

Also remember this was done long before anyone figured out how to alter the IAC settings in the PCM code. Not only that but it's a 20 cent mod instead of needing a $$$ custom chip mod.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by Nate S:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
An alternative that has been discussed is a 3' length of tubing to replace the tube to the IAC.

Can someone show me what tube this is?

Why don't you try the 45 degree bend hose first? (from the 97 TSB). F8RZ9H308AA about $15. And see if that helps.

This is the way to go. I put the Shoshop CAI on my car and the moosing that followed was unbearable. I did the TH fix with the cap but I also noticed a great lost of power in the upper RPM's. I went to ford and told them about the TSB and they sold me a rubber tube that replaced several tubes and the moosing was gone. I also replaced the IAC valve while I was in there so I am not sure if you can get by with just the tube. However, the TH is still present with the new IAC and tube. Hope this helps, good luck.

The power loss from the TH fix was also gone when the tube and IAC were replaced.

Last edited by kipsvt98; 08/04/05 09:04 PM.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Explain a power loss caused by a copper plug in the IAC tube and when the IAC valve is closed anyway.

I really want someone to try and explain this because people claim their "butt dyno" feels a power loss from the TH fix.

This should be good...

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I couldn't begin to explain why it happens but two people on this same thread (both with 98 svt's) have noticed it, so I'm sure it is not being imagined. Also if you look at the TH fix under the common complaints section it states:

"For the SVT, or a car equipped with the SVT intake, the optimum hole size in the plug seems to be 3/16" or 7/32". For the stock intake, the best size seems to be 15/64". lose The addition of the throttle hange restrictor plug has been reported to also fix the Mr. Moose (see related section on this page) issue without using the Ford Moose "bagpipe tube/hoses."

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
my butt dyno felt a loss in power with the th fix as well, so i pulled it out after the winter season. is the power loss in my head? maybe! if i ever get my car back on a dyno, i'll swap it in and out to see if there is a difference.

until someone does this, it's all conjecture.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by warmonger:
I've never been a fan of the copper plug because of greatly reduced airflow.

That's the whole point Tom.

It's not called "The Throttle Hang Fix" for nothing.

The original reason for being done (per Ray) is to limit the airflow through the IAC during shifting. The PCM holds the IAC wide open to help burn off the extra fuel and thus the engine hangs for a second.

It was not designed as an anti-moosing mod. However because it restricts flow reverberations it does that to some extent as well.

Also remember this was done long before anyone figured out how to alter the IAC settings in the PCM code. Not only that but it's a 20 cent mod instead of needing a $$$ custom chip mod.

NO, that isn't the whole point. We are not discussing the throttle hang we are discussing moosing.
The moosing is caused by resonance.
A piece of aluminum sheet metal for a baffle (not just holes drilled in it) will slow stop resonance and would restrict airflow to lower velocities...might help throttle hang as well. Costs about $1.50 and a little enginuity.

Geez...never miss an opportunity to point out your full tuning capability.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by Nate S:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
An alternative that has been discussed is a 3' length of tubing to replace the tube to the IAC.

Can someone show me what tube this is?

Why don't you try the 45 degree bend hose first? (from the 97 TSB). F8RZ9H308AA about $15. And see if that helps.

Alright, I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and look for the part.
Can someone tell me what my IAC should look like, so I can tell if it is the SVT version or not?

Warmonger- I understand what you're trying to say about the baffle, I'm just not sure what the actual shape of it should be Have you made one before?

It may not be a significant power loss, but I'm pretty sure I can feel the restriction. Either way, I'll take the power loss over the constant moose for now

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
What is your...ENTIRE...previous post about. MOOSING. "It is caused by a resonance and..."

Then you end it with "I've never been a fan of the copper plug because of greatly reduced airflow."

I merely pointed out the fact the copper cap is a cure for throttle hang and NOT a specific cure for moosing. It works great to stop throttle hang and ANY throttle hang SUCKS ASS!!!

BTW when a copper cap works the masses are not going to build an IAC tornado. Maybe you should sell them on ebay...

Also quit bitching about my self tuning ability and buy the damn SCT software already.

Is your car back together yet? Weren't you calling me slow a few year back...

F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
I've got to add this! Mine is a 98 Mystique LS ATX with the diferent/ factory fix I guess. It has never moosed until this summer with the AC on. Got to be the IAC worn however this noise is not that loud Hmmm maybe a castrated moose? More poltically correct than saying a gay moose???????
I was thinking (not good for an ORF) maybe wear is on the plungers shaft and allowing it to vibrate? Or as before the spring getting tired.
TNX
Paul

I've heard the newer stuff has found a way to elimate the IAC, would be nice but how?

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard