Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1349259 08/11/05 04:55 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
And the tornado still, does NOT improve gas mileage!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1349260 08/11/05 05:16 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
After listening to everyone on here about the tornado I decided to find out if it works. My girl owns a 99' Cougar with a 2.5l duratec/auto in it. The only mods done to the car are a short tube intake and a set of weapon-r headers. She drives the car about 120 miles to and from work(on the highway). Her car usually pulls 21 MPG on the highway. I slapped one in her car without telling her and let her go with it. I told her to watch the mileage and let me know what it gets. It took a few days for her to empty the car but she told me it was getting 23.6 MPG and wanted to know what I did. I was going to take it back to the store, but she wanted it left in. She is no lead footed driver by any means. Not telling her that it was in there helped to make sure she drove normally as well. Now I know it didn't make the world stretch or make her car accelerate like a Ferrari but it made her happy and it's going to save a few bucks too.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1349261 08/11/05 05:19 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by evocontour:
After listening to everyone on here about the tornado I decided to find out if it works. My girl owns a 99' Cougar with a 2.5l duratec/auto in it. The only mods done to the car are a short tube intake and a set of weapon-r headers. She drives the car about 120 miles to and from work(on the highway). Her car usually pulls 21 MPG on the highway. I slapped one in her car without telling her and let her go with it. I told her to watch the mileage and let me know what it gets. It took a few days for her to empty the car but she told me it was getting 23.6 MPG and wanted to know what I did. I was going to take it back to the store, but she wanted it left in. She is no lead footed driver by any means. Not telling her that it was in there helped to make sure she drove normally as well. Now I know it didn't make the world stretch or make her car accelerate like a Ferrari but it made her happy and it's going to save a few bucks too.

....henry, you need to take a look at her cougar..21mpg on the highway is horrible,on my trip to carlisle,i was avg a touch over 30mpg...and you now how i drive
..i get about 20-21 in the city...

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
#1349262 08/11/05 06:34 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M

A fluctuiation of one or 2 mpg is normal. Something like 1 psi less in one tire could make that much of a difference. Even if the product did create a 2.6mpg difference, it would take a hell of a long time to make just the $60 back you paid for it. It doesn't work, and is a marketing gimmick. There are plenty of true car experts that will tell you this.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
#1349263 08/11/05 07:47 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S

There's a sucker born every minute - You = SUCKER!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
#1349264 08/12/05 12:36 AM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
HEY, I WANTED TO RETURN IT!!! SHE WANTED TO KEEP IT! I just did this in a effort to see if it did work. I will pull it back out and see if the car goes back to 21 mpg. (without her knowing of course!! )Maybe there is somthing wrong with the car, but everytime I look at it with a wrench she flips. I will have to take a good look at it. Considering that car is taken better care of than my tour'(hard to beat) I would say that the MPG is fairly accurate.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1349265 08/12/05 12:45 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
My intention was not to conflict with everyone. I simply shared a freinds experience with a product. Now I know everyone here likes to make power. I do. More power = more fun. But there are products that improve other aspects of a engine. Things like reliability, longevity, functionality and efficency should not be overlooked as well. Not everyone on this site is looking for a gigantic leap in power. There are people looking just to get a little more out of thier vehicle. Some just want thier car to run better, Some - better economy and of course people like us want big power. Just because a product does not make 10 hp does not mean it is a piece of crap. ESPECIALLY when they don't advertise any HP gains for the product. The Tornado is designed to improve GAS MILEAGE.

Improving engine efficiency results in improved mileage AND power. They are not mutually exclusive. You can't tout this BS and not have some people call you on it. THe power saved from increasing the efficiency is shown as an increase in power to drive the car.

One simple reason aside form intake restriction as to why the tornado can't make any power on our cars is that the intake tract is so long. THe airflow makes four 90 degree turns and a general turn into the head with a total distance of around 2 feet from the throttle body! ANY spiral or vortex type of flow will straighten out long before it gets fuel injected into it or enters the cylinder.

Not to mention the reduced airflow!!!!

Another thing: I notice how you imply that the tornado makes ANY power by saying we are after big power gains not just smaller increments of 10 HP or so. I think you're off by at least one or two decimal places! IF the tornado made any power it would probably be 0.1 HP.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1349266 08/12/05 05:23 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Just because a product does not make 10 hp does not mean it is a piece of crap. ESPECIALLY when they don't advertise any HP gains for the product. The Tornado is designed to improve GAS MILEAGE.

I never stated it made ANY power. But I don't know of ANYONE who can say "yup, there's an extra 2hp there and a whole ft pound of torque" by seat of pants and it being true. So even if it did make any power on her car - which I am not sure it did - I am not going to blow $50-100 to find out by chassis dynoing it. So if the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine was improved and some power WAS unleashed I will never know. Just because an engine has a long runner intake with 4 bends in it does not mean it cannot benefit from not having to suck as hard to get the air it needs to run properly. By having the tornado installed it helps move the air along quicker so the engine does not have to work as hard to get it. The physics behind it are very simple and easy to follow. We see this kind of improvement on the engine dyno at our shop just from swapping from a smaller intake filter to a bigger one. It may be a small restriction down low, but at cruise rpms, I would think that it would have sufficent air velocity to create the vortex that would pull air past it more quickly and create a vaccum effect. We are expecting a b16a honda engine in a few weeks for a buildup and dyno test (we don't see alot of anything under a v-8 in the shop). I could try one on that engine to see what it really produces. Anyone interested? I mean if I am going to keep getting bashed for this I will just stop . But If there is anyone who is truly interested in knowing, I will do a few pulls with it.

#1349267 08/12/05 08:09 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Don't waste your time dyno testing it. We had a couple customers come in with that crap in the intake. The first thing we do after they include it in their 'mod list' is take them out. It COSTS you about 5hp on the dyno. We already tested it more than once.

The best thing to do with a tornado is when you first get it, and it's nice and shiny, is to throw it in the dumpster. My .02.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
#1349268 08/12/05 11:26 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Just because a product does not make 10 hp does not mean it is a piece of crap. ESPECIALLY when they don't advertise any HP gains for the product. The Tornado is designed to improve GAS MILEAGE.

I never stated it made ANY power. But I don't know of ANYONE who can say "yup, there's an extra 2hp there and a whole ft pound of torque" by seat of pants and it being true. So even if it did make any power on her car - which I am not sure it did - I am not going to blow $50-100 to find out by chassis dynoing it. So if the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine was improved and some power WAS unleashed I will never know. Just because an engine has a long runner intake with 4 bends in it does not mean it cannot benefit from not having to suck as hard to get the air it needs to run properly. By having the tornado installed it helps move the air along quicker so the engine does not have to work as hard to get it. The physics behind it are very simple and easy to follow. We see this kind of improvement on the engine dyno at our shop just from swapping from a smaller intake filter to a bigger one. It may be a small restriction down low, but at cruise rpms, I would think that it would have sufficent air velocity to create the vortex that would pull air past it more quickly and create a vaccum effect. We are expecting a b16a honda engine in a few weeks for a buildup and dyno test (we don't see alot of anything under a v-8 in the shop). I could try one on that engine to see what it really produces. Anyone interested? I mean if I am going to keep getting bashed for this I will just stop . But If there is anyone who is truly interested in knowing, I will do a few pulls with it.

I highlighted two anomalies in your statement. Read them then read below.

You appear to be friggin DENSE, I am wasting my time talking to you!
HOW CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT ANY KIND OF TURN IN THE AIRFLOW WILL HELP IT MOVE ALONG QUICKER?
Are you able to drive faster in a turn than you can in a straight line? I know I can't.
Air has mass and in a turn it too will tend to slow to change pressures and so on and so forth.
Reducing the diameter will speed it up through the restriction ONLY after which it will slow back down to the same dynamic velocity. Bernoullis principal at work. It will also decrease flow and increase power required to pump the air.

This means at only certain rpms you can increase air velocity and cylinder filling but at any rpm higher than this you will choke off the cylinder airflow and starve the engine for air. You need to understand that your peak power can only be made at high rpm, period.
Also, increasing cylinder filling even if at low rpm with your device will require more fuel to add to the air if it is to remain at stoichiometric ratio. How does adding more fuel to this so called "increased airflow" result in less fuel used? Power requires more fuel and air. Greater efficiency extracts more work out of the same fuel and air, getting more power out of the same fuel and air. See a problem here?

I have some stuff I need to sell, are you interested?

Actually, I'd like to see an honest comparison of say 3 pulls without the tornado and then 3 pulls with the tornado with all other variables remaining as equal as possible; to include the same day and relative part of the day (i.e. morning). Of course if you're doing it the results will be suspect so having some independent tester with you paying for it would be the most believable.

BTW, I know I'm sounding a bit irritated and aggressive. Normally I'm an open minded and peacefull guy. I got no problems with you personnally, just the bad info. IF you can support your claims with some facts then it would help.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard