Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1349249 08/03/05 12:23 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Read FAQ Sticky in Duratec Performance...

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#1349250 08/07/05 09:14 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Some modifications don't add horsepower, but will add to MPG - you know - improve engine efficency and driveability. I don't have one personally but we did install one in a freinds 2000 stratus 2.5l v-6. Now power and seat of pants feel didn't go anywhere, but he did pick up 6-8 mpg on his daily commute to work. Of course that wasn't there when he was pounding on the car either. With gas prices going the way they are, every little bit helps. As for it being an intake restriction, I don't really see how it can be. It doesn't block the air, just directs it. The swirling effect also helps to pull air entering in afterward as well. Use Zex's amplifier air filter as an example.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1349251 08/07/05 09:19 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by evocontour:
Some modifications don't add horsepower, but will add to MPG - you know - improve engine efficency and driveability. I don't have one personally but we did install one in a freinds 2000 stratus 2.5l v-6. Now power and seat of pants feel didn't go anywhere, but he did pick up 6-8 mpg on his daily commute to work. Of course that wasn't there when he was pounding on the car either. With gas prices going the way they are, every little bit helps. As for it being an intake restriction, I don't really see how it can be. It doesn't block the air, just directs it. The swirling effect also helps to pull air entering in afterward as well. Use Zex's amplifier air filter as an example.

Not even going to comment.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
#1349252 08/07/05 10:34 PM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
ha i was one of the dump kids and bought one for my svt and probe. IF you think they add anything even gas, your on crack. you can save gas by not reving so high and drive slower.

#1349253 08/08/05 12:55 AM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Now power and seat of pants feel didn't go anywhere, but he did pick up 6-8 mpg on his daily commute to work.

Riiiight.. Like I said, if a piece of bent sheet metal could really produce such amazing results, every car on the market would have one in the intake from the factory.

What really happens is, people stick those Tornado things in their intake and expect to get better gas mileage. Then they attempt to maximize the return on their investment by driving more conservatively. And in reality, THAT is what makes the difference.

A couple years ago I tried driving my Mark VIII like a sane person for a few days. I let it upshift at ~2100 rpm, I quit tromping on the gas as soon as the light turned green or I came out of a tight corner, etc. According to the trip computer I got 21.5 mpg during this experiment, whereas my normal mileage was 16.5. Drviving habits make all the difference.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
#1349254 08/08/05 01:46 AM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Not sure, but I believe there is a patent on it. There are other companies that use similar technologies to produce horsepower gains (zex, spintech etc.) If it didn't do anything, why would they use it as well? Driving like a human being does help alot. But I am just sharing his experience with a product. Believe it or not. All I can say is that he IS saving at the gas pump now with no other changes to his motor. Has anyone else here used one that can share a story? After all you can't knock it until you try it. Look at platinum tipped spark plugs. Everyone said no to them at first. Then they found that they last for ever and now you find them in just about every car made from the factory. Maybe $60 is a bit much to plop down on a questionable item, but think about most cold air intakes. They do nil for power and in some cases (because they are not tuned for the engine properly) hurt power. But that doesn't keep people from buying them for $75 or more a piece.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
#1349255 08/08/05 02:41 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
There is a little known rule on CEG... you can only stick your foot in your mouth three times a day...

You're on two, already... Moderation, my friend.

I'm with the "I'm not even going to comment" crowd about this POS snake oil gimmick.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1349256 08/10/05 05:08 AM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Not sure, but I believe there is a patent on it. There are other companies that use similar technologies to produce horsepower gains (zex, spintech etc.) If it didn't do anything, why would they use it as well?

If i found a company that was making a killing on selling l.e.d. exhaust tips that produced 5% more ponies you can bet id design one as well with every color led you can think of and make cool commercials for it, but it doesnt mean it works. It just means that you've found a product that less informed people will throw money at you for, kind of like one of those "tool" enlarging pills.

-ivan

#1349257 08/10/05 06:10 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by eyevancsu:
Not sure, but I believe there is a patent on it. There are other companies that use similar technologies to produce horsepower gains (zex, spintech etc.) If it didn't do anything, why would they use it as well?

If i found a company that was making a killing on selling l.e.d. exhaust tips that produced 5% more ponies you can bet id design one as well with every color led you can think of and make cool commercials for it, but it doesnt mean it works. It just means that you've found a product that less informed people will throw money at you for, kind of like one of those "tool" enlarging pills.

-ivan

Exactly.

If someone told you that you can scoop dog crap, shove it in a box and sell it for 60 bucks, wouldn't you and every person that wanted to make money do it?

End of story.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
#1349258 08/11/05 04:38 PM
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
My intention was not to conflict with everyone. I simply shared a freinds experience with a product. Now I know everyone here likes to make power. I do. More power = more fun. But there are products that improve other aspects of a engine. Things like reliability, longevity, functionality and efficency should not be overlooked as well. Not everyone on this site is looking for a gigantic leap in power. There are people looking just to get a little more out of thier vehicle. Some just want thier car to run better, Some - better economy and of course people like us want big power. Just because a product does not make 10 hp does not mean it is a piece of crap. ESPECIALLY when they don't advertise any HP gains for the product. The Tornado is designed to improve GAS MILEAGE.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard