Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My Dad taught me not to hold back and to go where the money takes me. There's more to it and good reason as well, I'll shoot you a PM about it if you want.

In short, I'd say go.

+ Seeing the world
+ 1 extra citizenship than ordinary Americans
+ Doing what you love, and having family there with you.

Ok, I said short, but it just didn't turn out that way

M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by RogerB:

If you live in this kind of fear, then the terrorists are beating you. Screw that.

it's one thing to not let it affect you here. it's another one to plop your family down in a country that borders an exceptionally unstable and active warzone.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by RogerB:

Now, Iraq. You couldn't pay me enough to be a contractor there.

Yep, that's my sentiment too.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
No one could make $200k a year in the US as easily as it would be to move to Kuwait.

And it is not just in recent times. It has been that way for many, many years (maybe 30 or 40). They have a shortage of technical people and have always been willing to pay for it (maybe not $200K but 3 or 4 times what you would get here).

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
i was asked to go for a year as a civilian contractor in a demolitions company cause of my demolitions experiance. and i was like lets see 75k for 1 year with everything paid for while i was there and miss the family for a year, live in the desert and have to take orders again, ummmmm NO. i served my country and i dont wanna risk anything again ya know.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by JaTo:
#1: Ask to talk to someone who is currently doing that job or something similar that is an American citizen AND that has their family stationed there. Make SURE you get a hold of someone that's been there longer than a year. I would make this a FIRM condition of employment consideration.

Actually, the guy who turned me on to this idea is a long time friend (very long), of mid 50's age, with his family over there. He's been there going on 2 years, and just re-signed for another.
Quote:

#2: I felt fairly safe in UAE and Kuwait is a bit similar from what I hear. Throwing a family into the mix in terms of a living situation there could change my mind, however. Tough call there.

Tell me about it. They would be more than taken care of, and a housing situation wouldn't be a worry, but it is always a tough call to involve your children.

Quote:

#3: F**k the money aspect for starters; don't let it lead your decision and that's exactly what it sounds like is leading you right now. Consider saftey, quality of life (for your family and yourself), quality of education and entertainment, THEN look at the money. I've turned down positions paying 3x as much as what I make now due to the "demands" that would be placed on me and my wife in terms of relocation.

I am not letting the money "lead" me, but I would be lying if I didn't say that it wasn't ANY aspect of my considerations. Shouldn't it be at least a SMALL part?
Quality of life would certainly be better than now, education would be null for the baby, though I need to look in to educational avenues for my wife, and me.

Quote:

#4: DO NOT THINK OF FOREIGN ASSIGNMENTS AS A
VACATION!!!!!!! I can't count the number of people that think this way and end up absolutely hating their stay in foreign countries, as the job keeps them from doing a lot of the fun things up front.

I don't think its a vacation. The vacation would be coming back home. That would be a living, and a change (drastic, at that)

I would LOVE some insider advice on acclimation, and the ways of life in that area. I've lived out of the US (well. never permanently, but the Navy tends to frown upon staying in one place for too long with a ship..)

Quite frankly, the situation as it stands now is this:
The wife is the only one working.. well, WAS working, until the baby was born. She doesn't WANT to go back, and can't go back as it stands as the baby will NOT take a bottle of ANYTHING. So.. she's out of the job-game. I've been unemployed since getting out of the military, and can't find a job for the life of me. I'm over qualified for anything except a VERY specific type of job. Working in smaller venues isn't making enough to support all three of us, either. I tried working two small jobs to add to the income, but that added to doctor's visits, and check-ups, etc, leaves us with no time to make the trip from job A to B to doc to home, etc.

I know part of this is desperation to be able to finalize something that I know will solve these problems, but the majority is wanting to provide a healthy, and stable lifestyle for the baby.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Ray:
There's your post, your topic, and your question at hand all in the subject.

I'm being offered a job in Kuwait.

The pay would be absolutely amazing. Housing, my vehicle, gas, utilities, and amenities are all 100% covered. Pay is tax-free. paid vacation days, plus vacation cash every year. (some $3500 a year, on top of the paid vacation days..)

Sign on bonus, completion bonus, etc. all sound good to me. I'd be able to provide well for my new family, and my wife would be able to stay home and raise our little girl the way she deserves to be raised. (by "stay home", I mean in Kuwait with me...)

Anyone have any input, advice, thoughts, or insults?

More information if anyone needs it..

Thanks.

Ray

OOH OOH OOH DIBS ON THE SVT!

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I'll miss you RAY!!! But then again, I don't count cause I'm a silly brown noser

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
but the majority is wanting to provide a healthy, and stable lifestyle for the baby.

Ray

Enough said. Congratulations Ray!

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Tony2005:
but the majority is wanting to provide a healthy, and stable lifestyle for the baby.

Ray

Enough said. Congratulations Ray!

I'm with you. I was out of work for 3 months last year, and it was tough, especially with 2 kids.

My only concern here is Kuwait. Make sure you research it as best you can. Make sure the local culture, etc. will be OK to live in for a while. Make sure that it WILL in fact be a healthy and stable lifestyle.

But congratulations on the job offer. Good luck !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard