Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Nyum96:
Who would have thought my 95 duratec was under warranty? Bought it for $2,000 with 60,000 two years ago and the harnesses were replaced this week with only 79,000 miles. Talk about a fried harness. All the wire harnesses had melted areas where all the wires became one. That could of caused the fans to burn out and the ABS module to short out. The dealership actually did a good job fighting for the customer on this one. Days were spent testing the old harnesses to justify the warranty/recall.

So for $2,000, Ford replaced $7,000 worth of stuff. Any other 95's still under warranty?

BB

Damn. Send that service bay a few dozen doughnuts, because they really rock. If I had access to a dealership that fought that hard FOR me (instead of against me), I'd marry it.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
If I had access to a dealership that fought that hard FOR me (instead of against me), I'd marry it.

Whoa! Jeb, take it easy. . No, seriously, Jeb is right on the dealership issues. It is really hit or miss in the DC area.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by phil:
P.S. If you're not familiar with this issue, start here:

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=24

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/recall/99M03/

Great links for referance phil....I can run to ford.com and see if the warrenty work was not done I can assume I am still covered since the car is a 95 ans has 70000 miles??

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Memphis,
It is a Customer Satisfaction/Extended Warranty for 10 years/100,000 miles whichever occurs first. It won't show up in the Ford.com as a recall (completed or not). And the 10 years is from the time the vehicle was first bought. If the 95 model was bought in August 1, 1995 and it is under 100k miles on July 31, 2005, and you bring it in by then, it is still covered. Other than that it is hit or miss trying to get it done for free. More miss than hit.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
When you take your car in, have that entire 99M03 document printed out and ready to reference. It will help...it'll especially help if you can point out the trouble spots in the wiring harnesses on your own car.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
When you take your car in, have that entire 99M03 document printed out and ready to reference. It will help...it'll especially help if you can point out the trouble spots in the wiring harnesses on your own car.

Jeb, I will take your advice on the 99M03 printed out.

LOL. As for the "point out the trouble spots", I can't even find a socket I dropped in the dark crevices of the engine area, let alone the tiny hairline cracks on the colorful wires. LOL. Thanks for the suggestion though. LOL.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Well, on my '95, there were sections of bare wire that you couldn't NOT see. Take a good flashlight and look around in there, you might be surprised. Also, not all the wiring that can have problems is visible. My mechanic said, after taking off the intake manifolds, that there was so much bad wiring in the fuel rail area that he was surprised the car ran.

N
Nyum96 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I was shocked at all the help from this place. I took the car in a year ago and was told by an old technictian that a problem has to exist before the harness would be replaced. I was pretty mad about that but new management took over and has gotten better. They have bent over backwards. My car is popular over there because I think every manager and technitian has looked at it. It was on the lift for 2.5 weeks. Total bill was around $7,000. Twice the value of the car.

If my harness has not been replaced and the warranty is coming up, try to get-r-gone. The recall is a "silent" recall which means you will not be notified.

For those who are techs, how much does the dealership make on a project like this? New wiring and ABS module....

Ford Dealership is in Alpharetta Ga: Team Ford

BB

1973 Porsche 914 2001 Beetle (turbo)
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
No, they do not.

They have the same problem but no recall. It doesn't seem to be as bad but it's still a possible issue in an any older contour.

No, they cannot ever have the same problem. The 95 to 97 (and it may have been fixed part way into the 97 model run, I'm not sure) used wire with an inferior plastic for the insulation. Once the change was made, having the insulation flake off is extremely remote because the plastic insulation is infinitely better.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard