Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1331178 07/12/05 12:07 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
I know. But like I said: the only fine-wires available are single plats. That's the kicker for me.

The fine-wires only NEED to have a single platinum electrode. The requirement for double platinum electrodes has been eliminated when using the finewires.

The following is a direct quotation from James Power, an engineer at Motorcraft in answer to questions about the fine-wire platinum plugs:

Quote:

...Fine wire means a .030" to .040" dia platinum nickle alloy rivet welded to the end of the center electrode. There is about three times the precious metal than what is found on a 'P' level enhancement. The P's are made by crushing and welding a small special lump of Platinum nickel so that it is a disc about .003" thick.

The effect of the point on the center electrode is reduction of required firing voltage and that aspect slows down the erosion of the sidewire. Consequently, we can use a single 'finewire' enhancement to replace the double 'p' designs for service and get the same durability.

Some auxiliary advantages of the reduced firing voltage is less stress and therefore better life of coils and wires, etc. and cold foul misfire is improved. Don't go crazy getting some because our systems are robust without it and the improvement is modest and mostly unrecognizable except for special cases. We use it in production as a durability measure for those engines that wear out plugs fastest.

Hopefully, this will provide you with the explanation you need to understand the newer product and its application.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#1331179 07/12/05 12:15 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
But I had those in my car for 20k miles and the one bank had opened to around .064, while the other bank was .058 average. The pitting on the ground was very visible. The gap differences are small, but they were pitted up in, so with a flat gauge I couldn't really measure the erosion. It still ran fine, but I'd rather know that my gap isn't opening at that rate.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard