Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by warmonger:
As far as the T-stat topic: I'm going to bow out of this one now. I only see some smidgeons of truth in all of these perspectives and I don't feel they change the whole truth or overall perspective on the matter.
I'm going to point out that if it were that easy for the manufacturer to improve their fuel economy and improve their overall CAFE (corporate average) then this would be standard equipment to every car. It obviously has more drawbacks than even I have indicated in that case. Hell, a tstat is cheap and costs the same irregardless of temperature rating! Why wouldn't they just run a 160 then?

Because just like everything else that comes from the factory, it has drawbacks. The main one being emissions. Lower temp stats effect unburned gasses GREATLY. Without cats or inspection here in Iowa, I don't have to worry about them much.

Originally posted by warmonger:
The T-stat temp being the only factor just doesn't make sense; this is additional reinforcement to me besides everything I posted above.
So to each his own.

I also agree with this point, with one exception, when the emissions control parts are deleted. Serious increases in performance and fuel economy can be had on certain models. With the tight engine bays of a Contour, I'd be willing to bet on something big enough to be noticed in mileage logs if you take the time to tune the part throttle cruising areas.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Basically you restated what I had restated from previously saying countless times myself.

The cooling system is only as efficient as the sum of it's parts. (radiator, fans, coolant mix, and w/p)

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Basically you restated what I had restated from previously saying countless times myself.

The cooling system is only as efficient as the sum of it's parts. (radiator, fans, coolant mix, and w/p)

Yes, but you and your fancy shmancy terms... nobody understood you.

BTW, how many extra degrees are you able to run on your setup with the cooler stat/etc.? Or should I just search your site???

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
That's a trade secret. Nobody can know.

To be honest I never put a stock thermostat back in and found out how much I'd have to lose.

I have run over 50 degrees of timing without detonation. There is no performance benefit from that much timing though.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard