Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
LMAO!!

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Here's X in his work clothes.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
LMAO

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
LMAO, nice pic Staz!

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Got the thermo guys! Putting it on this weekend!

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Why???? You know, I haven't gone off in a technical rant in the regular forums in a few years at least. I just don't waste the time these days anymore. However, for YOU I'll make it a special occasion and give you something to chew on.

So I ask again, Why????

All lowering the operating temp does is make cooling less efficient and if it is hot outside the engine will still run at the same temps as it would with the higher t-stat.
Minimum operating temp is determined by the T-stat, maximum operating temp is determined by the cooling capacity of the radiator combined with the turn-on temp of the cooling fans. So why, pray tell, are you guys always following everyone else and putting in the 160 T-stat?
There is only one area that I could consider it helping in and that is in mild ambient temps below around 80 F AND not in city driving but on the highway where a steady-state of heat transfer can occur.

..."Newton's law of cooling describes the rate of heat transfer from a solid surface into a fluid medium.

Q= hA(Tsurf - Tamb)

This relationship is valid for both forced and natural convection. T (amb) is the ambient fluid temperature.

"h" is defined as the convective heat transfer coefficient. This proportionality constant contains all the nonlinearities associated with convection.
"

Or Differentially, the way I remember it is:

dQ/dT= -kA/C(T-Ts)

All this really states is that the rate of cooling increases with teh temperature difference between the hot object and cold object.

If ambient is 80F then you have a dT=80 degrees. (dT is the temperature difference)
If however ambient is 120 like in Phoenix AZ, then you only have a dT=40. (assuming your engine actually ran at 160)
So the smaller difference in temp means that you will cool off much slower, therefore you will transfer less heat out of your engine in the same time than if it were at a higher temp, and so on. Don't forget, this follows Newtonian cooling, therefore it is exponential and it will cool much faster initially then slow down as the dT gets smaller

Therefore, my point isn't that the 180 is better than the 160, it is that the 160 is NO better than the 180 and a waste of time and money...unless your old one is no good. Then you have to remember that you may have reduced heating capability with the heater and changes to engine warm up time, and the reduced efficiency of combustion in very cold temperatures...20F is a large change in terms of heat energy.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Tom spelled ambient wrong.. once.

WHy are you people so smart?!

Anyways, Tommy is correct. So, "Don Johnson", in your location (Miami), you will not benefit AT ALL with the 160 in your car.. nor will I since we have cold winters. Will it harm anything? No..cept your polyester parachute pants and blouse.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
For every 10 degrees cooler the engine runs it requires 1 less octane point. (I.E. more boost, timing, etc per octane from pump gas)

You wonder why I could run my race program until the mean heat of summer... Well besides good tuning

Even now I switch to it if I'm driving at night.

What difference is that on a stock or mail order chip car. Not much if any.

For ref
Stock t-stat starts to open at 190-192.
Stock fans are 216/224.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
L
liquidX Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
For every 10 degrees cooler the engine runs it requires 1 less octane point. (I.E. more boost, timing, etc per octane from pump gas)

You wonder why I could run my race program until the mean heat of summer... Well besides good tuning

Even now I switch to it if I'm driving at night.

What difference is that on a stock or mail order chip car. Not much if any.

For ref
Stock t-stat starts to open at 190-192.
Stock fans are 216/224.

BTW, Tom, thanks for the corrective and informational post. Who needs a car forum when they have friends like you?

Okay so let me get this straight. Right now my SCT tune and program has my main cooling fan coming on at 200F, and shutting off at 180F. I will need a 180F thermostat in order for the dF to be compliant both from the fan and the thermostat in synchro correct? Stock is 192/195 at Autozone, and the Mustang one I have in the box here is 160f, but they also provide a 180f one as well. 3 Choices, and I need to pick one by Friday. Thanks guys...

XL

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard