Getting some SHOs involved shouldn't be too big a problem, though in the past the SHO guys were never too big on SZ. Not sure why, it wasn't for my lack of efforts that's for sure

The 00 SHO convention had a similar traveling setup through Indiana. The big problem there was an extremely high cost-something like $200 per person BEFORE a track event. Come to think of it, I don't believe there was a track event that year. The cost was high because they stuck in the admission costs for a lot of things that were deemed "of interest." I wouldn't do that for SZ... I'd point out places of possible interest, but admission for everything would be pay as you go.

My idea for a "one lap" SZ is to avoid major distances or high costs. Nor am I thinking of stretching SZ out over a week. Stick to the extended weekend formula, Thursday-Sunday. This is just off the top of my head, but here's something I have in mind.

Kick things off on Thursday in Kalamazoo, for old times sake. Hold open track at GingerMan for those wanting to do hot laps. Plan some other events in there as well, TBD later.

Friday, Kalamazoo - Ft. Wayne. That's only about an hour's drive if you go straight through. Start the road rally for those interested, plan some museum visits, sites of interest etc. Maybe schedule the dyno for Friday as well.

Saturday, Ft. Wayne to Detroit. This would be the biggest driving day with approx. 3 hours via I-69/96. Set up 1/4 runs at Lapeer dragway... Lapeer is a real popular strip for the MI SHO crowd. It's fairly secluded so people generally get lots of runs, and it's a fast track. I think the test & tune times start Saturday afternoon, so we wouldn't have to rent the track out.

Sunday, Detroit-?? Perhaps stay in the area for the autoX or dip down into Ohio somewhere. Big banquet Sunday evening with trophies for individual and cumulative road rally winners, guest speakers, door prizes, all the usual.

Yes, it would be a little longer than past SZs but only by about a day all total. We'd cover in the neighborhood of 500 miles or so, and yeah we'd be at a different hotel each night, but does that really matter? We'd be paying for rooms regardless, may as well get out and see some sights insted of staying in one place.

As always, events would be pay as you go. If you're a hardcore racer you could conceivably hit GingerMan, Muncie Speedway, Milan & Lapeer as they'd all be reasonably close to the route (I would personally set up a special ironman award for anyone who did that ) If you only have a couple days you could choose to meet up for a specific leg of the journey. If you just want to enjoy the drive, you could focus on the sights and the road rally portion of the event. There would be some extra cost for gas, but aside from that I don't see any added costs over a static convention. Plus, we'd be visiting ALL the past SZ locations, save for Springfield. And hey, for the REAL hardcore folks out there perhaps they'd want to start in Springfield on Wednesday... it's a 5 hour drive from there to the 'zoo

For me personally, part of the joy in a convention is meeting with the people, but also enjoying our cars in the performance environment they were meant for, and sharing that experience with others. That's really what I was thinking of when I came up with a "one lap" style SZ. Hanging out with the big groups in the evening or at the track events, but in the middle frolicking through the countryside with smaller groups, enjoying the performance of our cars. I'm personally familiar with all kinds of side roads and beautiful cruises in the region, and I have a whole pile of people to help with the planning

Aside from extra gas $$$ I don't see any additional costs in this kind of convention. And I think a schedule like this would be doable in the normal SZ time constraints... we'd just have full days on Thursday and Sunday, which traditionally have been the days people are either arriving or departing.

But like I said, I'll be happy to help out with ANY SZ planning. And if the SZ one lap sounds good I'll kick my *** to make sure it's entertaining while staying affordable.

Once again, this is just a ROUGH idea of what I had in mind.

-Chris 93 ATX SHO Ultra Red Evil ATX clone to Todras 91 SHO plus black/black, work in progress http://www.tri-statesho-svt.org