Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks to the wonderful people of this site, I think I have finally figured out my "chugging" at high rpm's...the IMRC. I'm not all that mechanically inclined, but I'm curious whether I could do the job myself? If so, can somebody provide some instructions? Also, from my searches it is hard to tell the exact part number and how much it should cost. Any good ideas?

If I choose to have a mechanic do it, what am I looking at, $200-$300? Thanks for being a great resource!

2002 Nissan Maxima SE Former 2000 SVT Contour owner
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
My IMRC has been bad for two years...i purchased one from a junkyard for $10 but have yet to install it...i can tell u that from the one i took off its not much of a big deal...i did have to take off the throttle body for easier access..but when i change mine i'm gonna just "no pain no gain" it and squeeze my hands down there...there are only 3 bolts that mount the IMRC..everything else is just those pesky plastic clips that hold the cable in place...i'm gonna do mine wednesday in fact and hope this used unit works...if not time to relocate the sum-bia..

98 Silver Frost EO 90 Grand Am H.O. Quad 4 300,000+ miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Are you SURE your IMRC is causing "chugging"???

I would have thought it to be a fule pump screen. Faulty IMRC would either stay open:
(loss of low-end power, normal high-rpm operation...

OR stay closed:
normal low rpm operation, MAJOR loss of power after 3800RPM (3200 WOT)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Just finished changing IMRC decided not to wait till wednesday...ended up having to take off throttle body cuz of those damn plastic [censored]...anyway it seems the junkyard part is workn for now..lets see what happens when in hits 95 degrees again...so if it turns out that ur problem really is the imrc...not too bad replacing

98 Silver Frost EO 90 Grand Am H.O. Quad 4 300,000+ miles
M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Ray:
Are you SURE your IMRC is causing "chugging"???

I would have thought it to be a fule pump screen. Faulty IMRC would either stay open:
(loss of low-end power, normal high-rpm operation...

OR stay closed:
normal low rpm operation, MAJOR loss of power after 3800RPM (3200 WOT)

Ray

I wouldn't say I'm sure. That just seems to fit best. Under 4000 or so everything is fine, but over 4000 it "chugs" but keeps accelerating. It's not violent or anything (like when the fuel pump was bad). There's just no extra acceleration like there used to be, which led me to the IMRC. As I mentioned, my fuel pump went bad and I had it replaced last year. When this problem started, I had the fuel filter replaced, but those didn't work. Is there a way I or a garage can check the IMRC to see if it's bad?

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Sure.. You can check if it is NEVER opening, by revving by hand (via TB) and watching for the IMRC linkage on the LIM to move.

Rev past 3800 and the brass bar should move backwards (towards the firewall)..

Ray

M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Ray:
Sure.. You can check if it is NEVER opening, by revving by hand (via TB) and watching for the IMRC linkage on the LIM to move.

Rev past 3800 and the brass bar should move backwards (towards the firewall)..

Ray

Thanks, I'll try that. They would have cleaned the screen if they changed the filter, wouldn't they? If you have other suggestions, I'm open. The only other thing I could think of was plugs and wires. The car has 75000 miles and they are original plugs and wires.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
if they changed the Fuel FILTER, it has nothing to do with a clogged intake screen (located on the pump ITSELF.

two completely different things. The pump has two intakes, and upper and a lower. (the lower being there so it can still get fuel when you reach the 1/2 point or lower.

Because that intake is the lower one, it sits at the lowest point, and the sludge in your tank clogs what is called a sock filter.

When you are above 1/2 tank, the fuel can enter through the other intake, but afterwards the fuel cannot enter through the lower intake (due to dirty sock filter.) you can remove it comepletely from the pump itself, as the pump has another internal one that isn't of such a fine design (sock is TOO fine, and gets clogged)

Simply changing the fuel filter (located on the undercarriage, passenger side) is NOT related.

Simply stated: if you see your IMRC working, look in to removing the sock (or cleaning it.. up to you) in the tank.. accessible through the rear seat, from within the cabin.

Ray

M
Max02 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
If it is the sock that's clogged, would I only experience the problem at less than 1/2 a tank? The problem doesn't seem related to how much gas is in the tank.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Yes. if the sock is the problem, you would experience it at certain levels (not neccesarily ONLY 1/2... maybe 1/4.. 3/8, etc.

Would always be close to a 1/2 OR LESS, though.

Ray

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard