Can't argue with the plenum being in place. I believe the PCM also takes in account for the additional air being in the plenum for fuel injection computations. Even though the MAF hasn't metered the air that should be in there (assuming a CAI was in place), the computer might still have the additional air figured in that isn't there because the plenum is gone. How hard would it be to produce a bigger plenum that was more attractive looking? I can't justify $400 for a bunch of silicone either. I can get a 3"x12' aluminum pipe mandrel bent(same stuff they use on CAI manufacturing) until it looks like a pretzel for $100 including material . You can also buy a long tube intake for a focus shipped for under $50 off of ebay as well. Of course it won't just drop into the contour, but it is alot more cost effective and also gives you over 4 feet of tube with different bends in it to work with as well.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.