I finally got around to inspecting the TC, and I'm relieved to find that there is no oil at all on it

I've never done an oil pan before, so this looks like it might be a fun first time, considering that I need to take off that Y pipe.

--

The dreaded MIL did come back on a few days ago, and the car started driving real bad. Between my first post and now it was perfect. I popped the hood and discovered a plug wire had worked itself loose (phew). The wires looked real old so I changed them out for a new set. What a difference (and what a pain)! I used to hear that loud ticking whenever I was accelerating hard. I figure that I was probably hearing an arc from a bad wire(s).

--

Up next - The temp gauge is going into the red whenever the ac is turned on and the car is in traffic. Otherwise it sits at the A these days. I see lots of posts about the temp senders being flaky and bad water pumps. With this cars (lack of) service history I think I'll check the pump just to see if it's one of the original ones.

I also need to fix a leak in the trunk. It looks like there's a torn rubber strip right above the rear center tail light assembly that seals water out from the trunk. I've seen some posts about using weatherstripping as a replacement. I'll read up tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

The driver's power window switch is flaky, and the speaker system keeps cutting out every now and then on the right side.

Thanks again, if it werene't for this site, I think I would have dumped the car by now out of frustration, but I'm actually enjoying it as the thing is actually getting better (and more fun to drive) each time. I must say that this is a really cheap car to maintain/repair when compared to my Honda.

'96 Mercury Mystique GS 2.5L Auto '99 Honda Passport EX 3.2 4WD