Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D

I went from a 1990 Mustang GT to a 1998 Contour with the V6 and 5-speed.

Pros of the Contour:
-4 Doors
-Less of a cop magnet
-Great handling
-Drives well in the winter

Pros of the Mustang:
-Torque!
-Lots of go fast parts available
-It's just a cool car

I missed the Mustang a lot though, so I bought a 1991 Mustang GT last year! Still have my Contour, the Stang is a weekend car.

As far as reliability, I don't know if you'll find a Contour any better or worse than the Mustang...

98 Contour V6 MTX, T-Red, 150k mi. Pic SVT Dual Exhaust, KKM Intake, Donnely Mirror, Dension DMP3 Player w/80GB of MP3s, Wheelskin 95 F-150 91 Mustang GT 06 Honda Shadow Aero
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by dbateman:

-Less of a cop magnet

I disagree

T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by ODC:

- 3rd gear syncro goes

meh, i have 96000 miles on mine and all syncro's are original. They're all fine, except 4th gear, but that's my fault. I also had ford check it out when the trans was torn apart for the new clutch/flywheel...and they said all the syncro's were fine. Even 4th gear, so I really dunno why it grinds when shifting fast.

- Fuel pump is kinda weak

define weak. For stock application there's no problem with it. The only people who have had to upgrade are people who went FI. How can you consider something it was never designed to handle a weakness???

- Long sweeping right hand turns at rpms > 2.5k will deprive engine of oil and implode. "Fixes" are running extra oil (6.5qt) and an accusump unit as a 'just in case'.

What?? That's not even in the powerband of the engine. If that were true alot more engines would have blown up by now. I can't think of anyone who keeps their contour UNDER 2500rpm...except maybe roger r Make it higher than 5k, and for extended periods of time.

Just run the 6.5 qts and don't worry about it. The odds are in your favor that it will be fine.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Welcome to the CEG!
That's a nice looking Mustang. I'm sorry about all the trouble that you are having with it though.
Good luck with your search for an SVT.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TGO:
What?? That's not even in the powerband of the engine. If that were true alot more engines would have blown up by now. I can't think of anyone who keeps their contour UNDER 2500rpm...except maybe roger r Make it higher than 5k, and for extended periods of time.

Just run the 6.5 qts and don't worry about it. The odds are in your favor that it will be fine.

What??? wow.

Powerband has NOTHING to do with oil drainage issues. If the oil doesn't drain, it doesn't drain. The powerband could be from 6,500 to 6,599 and it would still have drainage problems at anything high enough to demand any oil to the heads.

FWIW: ask around.. 3K is borderline, if it is a tight sweeping right hander (keeping in mind that how tight, speed, and lateral g's are all a factor, so NO one RPM can be made "THE" limit.. Typical onramp clovers at 3-3.5 have proven fatal more than once.

And, for that matter, even if the range WAS able to be proven higher, simply stating that YOU feel the "odds" are in his favor, certainly doesn't make ME feel any better.

I, personally, wouldn't take ANY one person's "positive" experience at a high rpm as the end all-be all of testimonials.

Run 6.5qts of HIGH quality oil (majority use Mobil1 Synth, or Royal Purple..)
Install an Accusump as another means of safe measure
AVOID high speed, tight rand handers.
Do your OWN research, and don't base your determination of "safe" limits on ONE post. (including mine)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Ray if I ever meet you, I'm going to give you every cent of my saved money so you can buy yourself many, many beers.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by J "BBQ"CSVT:
The only thing you will miss is the ability to get oversteer on command

Yeah, but you'll learn to love lift-throttle oversteer on comand

BTW, you might want to check out the space in the trunk/back seat of a Contour... the trunk is huge, but unfortunately the trunk OPENING is not. You'll probably be able to fit a half-stack in the back seat, but it might be tight. Plus you'll be worried about tearing up the leather every time you take it in and out.

I'll never steer anyone away from a Contour, but let's just say after having to move a few big items, I've come to curse the sedan layout a few times.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
You need to learn to pack, then!

I've moved 30 pieces of 4ft 2X4 in the trunk.

I also moved twelve seabags, and three people across the country.

I can pack enough stuff in the trunk/backseat of the SVT to enable us to live comfortably away from home for an EXTENDED period of time.

I've moved 9 sets of skis, two snowboards, and a 12ft. white water raft.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Call me when you fit a Marshall 4x12 cabinet in the trunk

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Ray:

Powerband has NOTHING to do with oil drainage issues. If the oil doesn't drain, it doesn't drain. The powerband could be from 6,500 to 6,599 and it would still have drainage problems at anything high enough to demand any oil to the heads.

FWIW: ask around.. 3K is borderline, if it is a tight sweeping right hander (keeping in mind that how tight, speed, and lateral g's are all a factor, so NO one RPM can be made "THE" limit.. Typical onramp clovers at 3-3.5 have proven fatal more than once.

Ray

What i'm getting at is if these failures were prone to happen at such low rpm then many, many more people would have blown their engines.

Just look at how many people autocross regularly, or even how many track race their cars. Tell me you don't pull massive g's in an autocross.

Didn't the roush test find that the least amount of oil was in the pan @ ~5500 and above?

And FWIW, there's a bunch of people here who run regular dino oil as long as synthetic in their engines as per the recommendations of blackstone labs.

It's not as much a necessity as so many people make it out to be.

I'm not saying the engine doesn't have an oiling issue. But driving the car like that is a waste. I can't name anyone who slows to 2.5k or less on a right hand turn of any type, unless it's a 90 degree. Hell, 3000-3500 is still taking it easy. I've been driven around gingerman raceway in an SVT with race slicks at redline in every gear (until 4th)...right turn, left turn...whatever. And that car was autocrossed regularly. And it was also properly maintained. AND it's still running. And for every 1 car who spun a bearing at 3000 rpm there's atleast a dozen more who were treated like i just mentioned and are fine.

Relax a little...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard