Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Okay this is not helping (me personally) because I have read conflicting reports on dry vs wet kit on a zetec.

I know I've posted this before in a couple threads.

But the two of you say a wet kit on a zetec is not a smart idea...however on FJ a couple of guys have stated that a dry kit on a zetec is asking for a blown engine (also because of running too lean)...so wtf. You guys both have your dislikes of a certain kit but for the same damn reason.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Pre 98 Contours have a return fuel system,
Foci, Cougars, and Post 98 Contours have a returnless.
Return style allows the flexibility of uping the fuel pressure and adjusting the fuel pressure pulse to supply more fuel.
Returnless have much less room in both departments.

I would still go with a dry kit.
Returnless will be fine with a 50HP shot,
(I haven't done the math to figure out amx HP shot),
anything larger and I would upgrade to a bit larger injectors.

Asking questions here is a good thing, but nobody here is the god of nitrous.
I would reccomend reading "Sport Compact Nitrous Injection".
(There are better books, but this is a good general overview.)
This will give you alot of no-nonsense answer to questions, show you some of the science and math behind nitrous, and generally allow YOU to make an informed decision for YOUR car.

Conflicting expereinces is one reason why nitrous has a bad reputation.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
I simply stated that I have rebuilt the stock engine 4 times as a show of how much TIME and MONEY I have spent RESEARCHING the best type of nitrous kit for the stock motor and where it's limitations are. Have you done such?
... I tested wet kits to start with and found that they are a complete waste of time on the 16v zetec. The intake manifold allows the air/fuel mixture to puddle in it causing a lean condition and allowing the engine to detonate. (verified via wideband O2 sensor) The only way to use a wet kit on the 16v zetec would be to design a new intake manifold that did not have the gooseneck in it. (I have done this)
...The only sort of nitrous kit that can be safely used is either a dry kit that tickles the stock injectors to inject more fuel or to setup your own direct port system that injects fuel AFTER the gooseneck. Either case requires that you have ample fuel supply and the kit be properly installed per the manufacturers directions.
...Injecting nitrous without extra fuel WILL destroy your engine. Please insure you use a kit that will provide additional fuel.

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by evocontour:
I simply stated that I have rebuilt the stock engine 4 times as a show of how much TIME and MONEY I have spent RESEARCHING the best type of nitrous kit for the stock motor and where it's limitations are. Have you done such?

As stated;
I learned about the engine, learned about nitrous, read other people experiences, and asked questions of people who have alot of expereince racing cars and building engines.
Therefore I haven't broke anything and have yet to need to rebuild the engine.
Do it right the 1st time is my motto.

And considering that I was able to chop just under 2 seconds (1.9 to be exact, 16.3s to 14.4s) off my 1/4 mile time with only a 65HP shot of nitrous (time slip was posted and had witnesses when I did it) I would say that I am most likely the most succesful users of nitrous on a Contour and on a Zetec engine.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
First, I RESEARCHED - you know, went through the trouble of installing and trying ALL style of nitrous kits on the ZETEC in the effort to show that there is a difference in the kits and thier performance and how they react with the engine. I did this knowing I will eventually destroy the motor. Secondly, when you push the limits of somthing YOU WILL BREAK THINGS. I pushed the limits to find out where each kit gives out with the motor. Third, your not racing unless your breaking stuff. (at least not serious about it) I can say that a dry 50hp nitrous kit for the zetec is the safest and only option for a first time user with the ZETEC. I am glad to hear your making that much time up with just a 65hp shot. Doing it right the first time is the best way to do it. I just spent alot more time just so I could say what the right way was.
HENRY

95 Contour, Custom EVO bodykit, 2.0l, PNP Focus head, Stage 2 cams, Je pistons, Eagle rods, 4in1header, 2.5" header back exhaust(complete stainless), D P nitrous, ram air intake, 10mm wires, flamethrower.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard