In the northern states and I'm guessing Canada, a pool, even an inground one is a liability as far as a sale goes. Many real-estate agents will advise that you fill in a pool before you put the house on the market. If you don't it's virtually impossible to sell to young families, people who don't swim, or people who can't afford to upkeep the pool.

My Grandma tried to sell a house here in Ohio 4 years ago. It is a beautiful, all brick ranch. It has bruce hardwood floors, 3 large bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and the nicities go on. It is on a beautifully landscaped double lot. It also happens to have a 20x40 oval pool that is 15 feet deep in the back yard. Around the pool is a 6 foot privacy fence, a 10 foot band of concrete, and 30 grand worth of landscaping. She had 100 people look at the house over the 2 years it was on the market. Only 10 made offers, the other 90 liked the house but didn't want the pool. 7 of the 10 offered less for the house to fill in the pool.

I can certainly understand why this happened. The pool has to be used to work properly. Not worth the money if you don't use it. If you can't maintain it yourself, you're talking about upwards of 3k a year to maintain it. If the pump goes out, 1500 to replace it. The water to fill it cost a lot too. For somenoe who won't use it nearly everyday and can't maintain it themselves, it's simply not worth any extra money.