Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Thats not bad at all. Theres not even pieces missing out of the front of the splitter. Basically just pits that need to be filled. Honestly, I could repair that to look like new in a couple hours.

True, thats what I thought. Some Bondo brand platic filler will do nicely over that. Dave, you are handy.. fix it yourself and have your guy paint it.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
i'm sure you guys would paint over bubbling and cracked paint.

maybe it's fine for your cars, but not mine. i'm not going to ham and egg it just to have to do it all over again in a year. if that makes me anal, so be it.

and i'd like the name and number of a reputable shop that will completely hand strip (no chemicals), repair, and repaint for less than $350.

whatever. it's done. the long and short of it is it's not as he described it. and now it's costing me substantially more than it should have. these are hard facts. everything else is opinion and conjecture.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I would hand strip it and repair it myself and then have someone paint it. Thats what I said.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Nothing that a can of bondo, sandpaper, a six-pack and a Saturday afternoon can't fix.

-J

'98 4Runner
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by JVT:
Nothing that a can of bondo, sandpaper, a six-pack and a Saturday afternoon can't fix.

-J

exactly! Take a Mouse to that thing, strip it down, fill, sand, and your ready to go. Like i said, a couple hours tops and it would look brand new.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
/thread hijack

Hey Jim,

your car was reborn on my birfday. w00t w00t.

Sweet power btw...

-J

'98 4Runner
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
heres the skinny on mirkos: if you drive daily with them on IT WILL GET THRASHED OVER TIME!!!!!! its an unavoidable consequence. you will be repairing, repainting, or touching it up often. no way around it, unless its only on for the occasional show.

i wouldnt have bought a used mirko for that much anyway. i got mine with a huge chunk missing and repaired, primed, painted, cleared, etc. by myself and spent under $200 when it was all said and done.

regardless of who did what, whos fault it is, etc. ALWAYS ASK FOR PICS!! who just sends money off without seeing or asking many specific questions about the used product anyway?

bottom line: i hope this works out for the best, for both of you

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
well said kingpin. this is the reason i dont have a Mirko. MX, you can spend all that money to make it look tits, but in a year, its probably going to look like that again anyway. i know you take lots of pride in your car's appearance, as do many in here, but this product just doesnt support that.

Lilstrped and Duratex, while i agree with your statements on customer service, there is a big difference between someone who is in the business of selling a particular product, who can afford to take a loss in the name of good business, and an individual selling a part out of his garage. just my .02 cents as a fellow ebay seller and an occassional guy selling a part out of his garage.

ps, i didnt know bondo would repair over fiberglass very well. i thought you had to repair with fiberglass...

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by svt4stv:
well said kingpin. this is the reason i dont have a Mirko. MX, you can spend all that money to make it look tits, but in a year, its probably going to look like that again anyway. i know you take lots of pride in your car's appearance, as do many in here, but this product just doesnt support that.

you will probably have to repaint it more than once a year, depending on how much you drive. the way things are going for me its going to be twice a year, with it taken off for the winter. repaint when it comes off for the winter months, and then again midway through the summer ones.

having a black car, its easy to get away with doing it yourself, because black is an easy color to match. having a body shop paint a mirko should run you in the 80-100 range per pop. me doing it myself costs me about $25 bucks. i can afford to paint it a few times by myself for the cost of one professional paint job. the pro job may last a bit longer, but its still going to get dinged up. it will have to be fixed a few times, not matter what.

bondo works fine on fiberglass for fixing small dings. i used it, turned out fine. im going to have to do a small touch up because after painting i noticed a few small air pockets i didnt notice before. no biggie.

it was worth it to me to put in the time to fix it. the body shops around me wanted around $300 to fix it. did it myself for the cost of a small can of bondo, and a couple of rattle cans. being a perfectionist about prep will go a long way as well.

a painted piece that low to the ground just doesnt work well for the paint, regardless of how you look at it.

i always say, you gotta pay to look this good!

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Any of the splitter users ever tried putting that clear film on the splitters?...the same stuff they use for the clear "bras" and headlight covers...made by 3M.

It's supposed to be very good at protecting the painted surfaces, and there's lots of shops around the US that can custom fit it.

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard