I'm with you! I have ripped the head unit out of every car I've ever bought within 30 days. This is the first real pain in the arse I've run across.
I like the center stack and controls, just don't like the sound and it isn't loud enough. I hate factory DSP compensation!

I guess the cleansweep is the trick then. It won't be any worse than buying a head unit plus I get 8 volt pre-outs.

For those of you who haven't liked aftermarket radios...Get an Eclipse. I'm 4th time repeat buyer of eclipse readios! I say that because I have bought other radios but very few compare to eclipse's sleek looks and full functionality. Look at my website link below to see how my 4 year old eclips 5506 still looks in my contour.
Yes they are expensive for the nice ones but they are worth it for the clean sound and nice interface.
I did like the JVC MP3 player I had in my wifes Saturn before we traded it in on the Volvo.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black