Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Driving home and the stereo died. Lost all electrical functions and tach. Could not close windows.

Kept driving couple miles and the car finaly died close to home. Sputtered to a stop.

Wife came and we jump started the car. All electrical came back. Closed windows, sunroof etc. Engine sounded good.

Shortly after the the jumpers were removed the car died.
Car can't run on it's own.

Battery terminals have some corrosion on them. Need to be cleaned. Got my meter and tools, going back to look at the car.

If the battery is bad, or if there is bad contact to the battery, won't the alternator keep the car going?

Looking through the service manual. Any spot checks I can make with a volt meter. Problem is I only have 20 to 30 seconds after I remove the jumper cables befoer the engine dies.

Any quick comments are appreciated.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
L
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
L
sounds like a bad alternator

98 svt sil/blu 3.0 oval heads full P&P, msds headers,bat kit,2,1/2exhaust 30 inch glasspack and 2 spintech mufflers 14.78@94mph with my mechanical arm i can shift gears in less then a twentieth of a second for sale $7000
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
alternator, your at about the right time in the car's life... sounds like a good run for a stock alternator on a 96.

Last edited by ALIAS Jerk; 05/21/05 08:48 PM.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
a to the l to the t to the......screw it....alternator.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Appreciate it. looks like a real PITA to replace.

I see the Tie Rod and Y pipe needs to be removed.
$$$ for Dealer.

First major repair for the car though.

On my way back out to get the car.

Close to a dealer. So I will get a new battery and drive her in. Save the towing charge.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yep, always a good way to check the ALT is to start the car and remove the battery cable , car dies - bad alt
car runs = alt is good .

Check me out for awsome powder coating deals www.powdercoatingworld.com People shouldn't slam each other when posting, If you cant say something good to say then just hit the back arrow.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If the battery is bad enough a bad battery by itself can cause this kind of problem. It is a little uncommon, but it does happen. I've had more than my share of them.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Could just be a bad connection at the battery terminals. That would be where I would start.

Al

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If you can turn a wrench, and know the difference between clockwise and counter-clockwise... try it out yourself..

NOT as big of a PITA as others make it seem. Some helpful photos and a how-to (including all tools needed, and which order...) are written in Duratec Maintenance, under my how-to post.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I agree w/ Ray. Don't pay a dealer to do it, and if you don't want to do it yourself, at least take it to a garage other than the dealer.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard