Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Hey everyone -

I don't post here much, mostly I just lurk the boards, gathering information since I am still a very new SVT owner. Well, like everyone else on here, I had the dreaded warping dash. It was so bad that the dash pad was actually touching the windshield at one point. I purchased the repair kit from Ford but when they looked at it, they told me it was beyond repair and would have to be replaced...at a cost of $800 for just the parts, not even mentioning labor charges. WTF!?!?!?

So I decided I would tackle this project myself. Armed with two days, determination, and the help of these forums, I tore out the dash...definitely easier than I thought it would be. Once out, I determined that Ford wasn't jacking with me. The dash kit by itself wouldn't work, so what I ended up doing was to use a bunch of machine screws underneath the defroster cover to pull the dash back down to the frame. After that, I put the defroster grill in, the defroster cover on (which covered up all the screws) and reinstalled the dash...which was considerably harder than taking it out. But I did do it all by myself, so I am sure that increased the difficulty level.

So anyways, onto the pics:

I know its not as good as a new dash pad, but I also managed to save myself at least a thousand dollars, and now I don't cringe everytime I get in the car and see the warpage. Thanks again contour.org!!!! I couldn't have done it without the resources here.

Shaun Evans

Proud new owner of a 1999 Ford Contour SVT
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
nice job! that dash did look in pretty bad shape. good job with finding a solution and saving 800 bucks! looks good...btw how did the kit cost you?

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Nice job! I really like your bowling bag too...

I just got one for $50 (dash kit, not bowling bag)

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
nice job! that dash did look in pretty bad shape. good job with finding a solution and saving 800 bucks! looks good...btw how did the kit cost you?

Thanks for the comments! The dash kit cost me $70 from Ford.

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
how long did it take you too pull the dash? my dash is starting to warp too with our 100 degree summers it probably will look like yours soon.

is there a how to on pulling the dash?

man i hate to get into something this involved just to slap a patch kit on it!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

D
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by svt4stv:
how long did it take you too pull the dash? my dash is starting to warp too with our 100 degree summers it probably will look like yours soon.

is there a how to on pulling the dash?

man i hate to get into something this involved just to slap a patch kit on it!

It only took me about three hours to pull the dash. I had a very good adobe pdf that ford released. If you give me your email, I can shoot it on over to you. It takes you step by step and shows you exactly what to do.

Shaun

R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Nice job!

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Send me that PDF, please.

ceg.ray@(removeme)gmail.com

Thanks alot!

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Welcome to the CEG!
Congratulations on doing the job yourself, nice work.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by daaper2k05:

It only took me about three hours to pull the dash. I had a very good adobe pdf that ford released. If you give me your email, I can shoot it on over to you. It takes you step by step and shows you exactly what to do.

Shaun

I'm curious as well...if you could send it to me, I'd appreciate it.... amarv12 (at) hotmail.com

TIA

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard