Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I went through the agonizing wait for the acid dip. Then painted my oval. I did about 3 coates of primer, 3-4 of base (sanded after 3rd coat) and about 6 coats of clear (wet sanded after last coat). Funny thing was that I used the "silver frost" duplicolor paint but the oval had a yellowish tint to it when it was done. It didnt match the rest of the paint on the car. I thought maybe it was from the duplicolor clear I used which was a hi-temp clear 500deg IIRC (could have been higher). Also it could be a possibility that I wet sanded too much, since this is the first time I did it.

Anyway I put it on the other day and yesturday at work I looked at it and noticed a big chip. The chip was all the way down to the primer. I'm wondering if anyone else that has painted their oval has had this happen to them right after putting their painted grill on or did I do something wrong in the painting process. This mod would suck if it has to be sanded and repainted once a month or more often. It looks great but man lasting for 2 days

Any thoughts?

Justin 98.5 CSVT # 4887 of 6535 (born 2/28/98)
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
yeah dude 1st time i did mine i lightly scuffed it ,then no primer then duplicolor black wheel paint and clear and was good then chips all over the place then i went sanded it down a little then used krylon fusion and sprayed the entire thing with like 10 coats, it flexes with the plastic so it wont chip or peel. i have had it on there now for well over 2 months and no chips, and that does enclude being behind big truks on the highway throwing rocks at me...krylon fusion is the way to go, no primer needed and clear is already mixed it...will be high gloss straight from the can

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
awesome thats the kind of reply I was looking for. Where did you get your krylon fusion paint at? Does it come in Silver frost?

Do you think I need to sand it all the way down to the primer or even sand all the primer off? Or just scuff what I have now, sand down the chipped area and then paint it?

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
i got mine at walmart, but home depot carries it everyone does. yeah i would sand as much off as you can but make sure its even,,,then paint away and its ready for another coat like maybe 3 minuites later and dries 100% overnight, i painted mine the night before fun ford weekend and i meen at like 2:00am and left my house at 6:00am i put the oval on when i got there and raced at 11:00am and all weekend and no problems with it, i also did my sail panels with it,rear reflector and crome strip....i love it

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
thanks for the help man, I apreciate it. Ill give it a try this weekend.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
this weekend? do it tonight dude, it wont take more than an hour,start to finish

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This is why I took my grille to a bodyshop to have it painted...$20 worth of shiny painted perfection ...my painter guy added the flex agent since the grille needs to be flexed a lot for installation.

Curious...did you bake the paint to harden and dry it completely?

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
nope i surely didnt, i sprayed it in my garage and then installed it the next day actually about 8-9 hours later and its been fine ever since. krylon fusion dosent need to be baked to harden or dry completly

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Justin, how did you make out with the Krylon Fusion? Does it match?

M
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
M
didnt try it yet...hopefully I will get a chance this weekend and I'll post to let you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard