Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Mondeo V6:
I'm being told that fitting headers gives no increase in performance over stock manifolds and as the O2 sensor is only in the flow of one cylinder

Who are you getting advice from? Wouldn't be anyone on here or on MEG I assure you. Stop getting advice from your mom.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Mondeo V6:
I'm being told that fitting headers gives no increase in performance over stock manifolds and as the O2 sensor is only in the flow of one cylinder

Who are you getting advice from? Wouldn't be anyone on here or on MEG I assure you. Stop getting advice from your mom.

lol,my mum wouldn't know what an O2 sensor is. I'm not starting a war here but the info came from FCO. Someone who has done lots of work on these cars and should know! This is the problem with forums-conflicting info. My thinking is thus:-

(1)The o2 sensor only needs a sample of the gases so should be OK with flow from one pipe??
(2) the stock manifold sure looks ugly and certainly doesn't look like it was made fopr performance! Surely there are some gains to be made here.

I really don't want to spend $$$$ importing a set of these(prob. end up costing double after import duty and tax,not to mention shipping )for it to be a waste of time!!!

Mondeo V6 RS RS Bodykit RS Lowered SVT UIM SVT TB SVT LIM Philips 6000K HID ZENON Twin Stainless Exhaust
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Been there, done that. If I could give you my .02, it's not worth it. We realized absolutely no gains switching from manifolds to headers. As a matter of fact, we encountered problems with the O2's on everyone I've seen. The O2 sensor placement (or lack thereof) is placed in a poor spot on the MSDS and Weapon R which does not allow the full flow of all 3 cylinders across it (only 1 cylinder). This causes low speed richness concerns and cold starting problems. I experienced it, others have and we've all ditched ours and sold them.

This is my word, it should be taken as an opinion from someone who has gone through the installation and ran it on a 3.0L. I've been party to a 2.5L Cougar installation as well and the same issues were present on it as well. I myself wouldn't recommend it.

Is the info i got. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible so please keep it nice

Mondeo V6 RS RS Bodykit RS Lowered SVT UIM SVT TB SVT LIM Philips 6000K HID ZENON Twin Stainless Exhaust
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I don't buy it - seeing as each bank is controlled by one O2 sensor anyway.

If you wanted to be real picky about it. You could extend the O2 sensor to the lower bung so it sample all cylinders Then put the bottom one up top with MIL's attached.

But I guess the geniuses at FCO didn't think about doing that.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Dude, don't post what you don't know about!

The Weapon R headers need you to use the Weapon R y-pipe.

I had a WR Y on my Contour with stock manifolds. If there is a significant difference, please explain how I accomplished this.

At any rate, I posted based on my own real world experience. Sorry if that doesn't match up with your version of reality.

The Y is obviously re-designed to ditch the horrid V bend, so perhaps that is at least PART of the difference. My Y is over a year old & may either have been modified without my knowledge as I got it used, or perhaps the WR QC efforts were not up to snuff. Fact remains, it fit my stock manifolds for whatever reason.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Look at the last pics I took. You can see the WR rear header is shorter. You MAY be able to crank anothe ry-pipe to fit by tightening the hell out of the bolts, but then again they may have shanged something there:

Where did you get you WR y-pipe from?

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I got it from a one of the heavy hitters on fastcougar.com - DOM, I think... I'll check my home computer & find out for sure.

Last edited by MysTour man!; 05/06/05 06:36 PM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
You do have to use the WR y-pipe(at least on my set I did). I was going to keep the BAT y-pipe, but it would not bolt up. It was off by about 1/4 of an inch. I don't know if this just something they did when they revised them, but the manifolds do come out at a slightly different angle.

BTW, I had to redo a few things and pull out the EGR tube. I took a picture of it and will post it in a few minutes. That should give you guys an idea of what needs to be done to make the EGR work.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Heres the EGR tube with the 5/8" compression fitting from hope depot:

Definately not something to get worked up about. It was about 2 minutes work with a pipe cutter.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Stazi:
You could extend the O2 sensor to the lower bung so it sample all cylinders

I think this is what I'm going to do as it makes sense to get all of the cylinders exhaust passing over the O2 and not just the one cylinders (just in case that 1 cylinder is off for some reason).

Anyone know where I can pick up a foot long O2 extension for each bung? Do they even make these things?

I'll end up plugging the upper bungs with plugs or old O2 sensors. The SCT programmer up here at steeda.ca said he normally turns off the back O2's anyway so I shouldn't even need MIL's.

98.5 SVT now gone ... new wheels = 2005 330i
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard