Originally posted by tour96se:
while i have the lim off i'll take a stiff brush to the head ports,esp the secondaries,and scrape off the carbon buildup,now using a shop vac(theres a attachment that fits perfectly in the head)i suck all of the carbon out,once this is done i take some seafoam or valvoline tb cleaner and spray done the heads again,again using the shop vac if i used alot of cleaner. makeing sure it evaporates or dries before i start it,or you'll throw misfire codes........imho cleaning the uim/lim/tb is only half the job,if the heads are clogged up the improved breathing of the intake isnt being fully realised...

I just did this over the weekend too. I found a stiff brush at home depot that scraped all the carbon off the secondary port walls without needing any cleaner. The secondary ports always get gunked up worse than anything else.

A few other things I've learned after doing the cleaning for 3 times:

- A faster way of removing the LIM is to just disconnect the fuel lines and pull the whole thing out, with injectors and rail still attached. This way you don't need to replace the o-rings either.

To clean the UIM, just turn it upside down and pour liquid berrymans in it, and gently rock it back and forth. Then clean the port openings with a spray can of berrymans and a brush. I did this with the TB still attached to keep the fluids in. If you use liquid berrymans, it's strong enough to remove all the buildup by just "swishing" it around in the UIM.