Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
#1266394 05/06/05 05:49 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Zetec plugs are kind of weird. They have a long reach into the cylinder and almost no other plugs have the same threads and reach. The only stock replacements that are copper and colder are Motorcraft AZFS22C. They are copper and one step colder. They are a bit hard to find and usually will have to be ordered from the dealer for around $12-15 for the set.

Basically, one step colder for every 40-50hp. But again, only one step is availiable over the counter. You can get custom plugs up to five steps colder at www.focus-power.com, but they cost $50 a set, they are machined by hand.

You mean like you said your MAF and fuel pressure mod was just fine and a week later you blew your engine? While your quick engine swap was impressive, the need to do it wasn't surprising to me because of what you were doing.

Becareful. Read the FAQ.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
#1266395 05/06/05 08:47 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
7psi was an example. You can only trick your maf at one setting. Raise the boost and the AFC will not compensate like a mass air meter will.
Truly, you should not tune your own car because you have no real concept of how to do this correctly. Deceiving your sensors will end up biting you in the ass. You have a cheap, effective stand alone computer in your car called and EEC V. Take advantage of it, find a local SCT tuner at www.sctflash.com and get it dyno tuned properly. Sadly, I know you won't because of some kind of pride in doing it yourself. Get over it. You will need help with this if you want some kind of longevity.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
#1266396 05/06/05 09:32 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Please refrain from insults when you don't even know what I do or don't know. Keyser why do you feel the need to insult me have I insulted you? Insults like that is what a little child says when they don't get their way. Your obviously a grown up so stop it. Statements like its about pride when its about reality. I don't have tons of extra cash to just throw away, notice how you guys drive SVTs and I drive a zetec, if I did have tons of cash I would just buy a predone kit which would have no pride whatsoever. Just because I don't agree 100% with everything you say doesn't mean your talking to a brick wall. Remarks like that are just ridiculous and serve no helpful purpose whatsoever. I wonder if people actually have read the entire post before they say stuff, I already stated that I won't be going over 7psi most likely not over 5 for the time being. When/if I do I can upgrade. I still appreciate all the advice I have been given even if I don't agree 100% No one here besides sleeperz has actually met me. You don't know me so don't make assumptions. I was the first to do a 5 speed swap and for cheap when everyone said it wasn't worth it. I was the first to do a focus swap and for cheap. As far as needing the focus engine it was in all reality probably destroyed from too much ignition advance due to the larger MAF, thats why I need an ignition box to control the timing. Now if you would like to help me in this endeavor I would appreciate it, just realize that we aren't always going to agree on everything and if we don't agree oh well. People have been using SAFC computers to tune for turbos for a couple of years now with great success.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1266397 05/06/05 09:34 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Seawulf Thank you that is the kind of help I appreciate. Notice how he gives me the information I asked for and SUGGESTS that I be careful and read the FAQ. He didn't get ticked off and insult me when I disagreed.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1266398 05/06/05 09:50 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
If your skin is that thin that you took that as an insult then I don't think I can help you. It was reality not insults. I already did what you want to do and it was WRONG. I've been there with the AFC and timing box. Don't throw all this time, money and effort away because you won't spend an extra couple hundred bucks over all the resistors, AFC and timing box/tach adapter you bought. How much did that new motor cost you just had to put in? Do it correctly or you are likely to repeat the past.

Disclaimer: All comments herein are intended for the sole purpose of education and assistance and should not be consider offensive or demeaning in any way.

#1266399 05/06/05 09:58 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Keyser I like your disclaimer Well I am glad it wasn't an insult. So why did I have such luck with my neon and tuning it with an safc? It was a 96 dohc neon that I added the same type of turbo too. I will admit that I cracked one of the neons pistons but never had a problem again after I lowered the compression to 8.6:1 still using OEM pistons just a thick headgasket that cost $100 shipped. Lots of mazda guys are using SAFC and honda guys ect and mazdas use a MAF too. They all reccomend the SAFC too, so why the discrepency?

#1266400 05/06/05 10:24 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Because they don't have a free stand alone computer in their car. The mazda computer may be an EEC but the strategy is yet to cracked. I can make any car run great WOT most of the time with bolt on parts, but a truly good tune will run like factory all the time and will be safe. NO check engine lights unless their is a problem is a wonderful thing. It also helps with emissions if that is an issue. There is also a feature in your EEC called aircharge WOT multiplier. What is does is monitors air flow and if it gets too high the EEC freaks out. You also have some emission switches like cat temp flange sensor that will dump fuel like mad in WOT to compensate for Cat temperature. There is neutral and decel idle air control so no stall issue. Also dashpot decay rate that will control the engine flare between shifts if it becomes a problem. The list goes on and on but you will be better off with a tune. I'd have to pull up your ECU code to know specifically what you have. They are all different.
I charge $425 for a FI tune including dyno time and the chip out here in Phoenix. I know I'm on the cheap side so expect to find prices between that and $700 on the high side.

#1266401 05/06/05 10:40 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
$425 is amazingly cheap!!! If I could find it for that price I would probably just do it. But I am in OREGON The cat dump fuel strategy is probably why my fuel map on the safc goes from 6000rpm +8% 6500rpm +5% to 7000rpm +/-0% otherwise the O2 readings just go way rich. This may sound ignorant but does your setup just plug directly into the ecu or do you program a chip that the plugs into the ecu. BTW are you with the company that turboed that 1st gen legend a year or two ago?

#1266402 05/06/05 10:50 PM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
What size injectors are you using? I see you want to use low impedence injectors.

#1266403 05/07/05 08:36 AM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
http://www.sctflash.com/main.php

In the upper right corner there's a box to type in your zip code and find some tuners in your area. Got to be one near ya.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard