Print Thread
Page 30 of 47 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 46 47
#1251422 06/15/05 02:26 PM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Davo:
Are you a part of the Pistons fan base? I think you and others who have participated in this thread reflect the base well. Plus, I've read and heard plenty of comments from both professionals and fans that suggest Pistons fans believe there is, in fact, a Vast Ref Wing Conspiracy.

if you believe that reading the comments of four or five people on a car forum, and a few media snippets, make for a fair representation of a group of people (i.e. the pistons fan base), you are far less intelligent than you seem.

i think you know better, davo.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#1251423 06/15/05 02:27 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Newmadamus:
Originally posted by MxRacerCamXXXL:
I wouldn't think anything of it if the sign didn't reflect what a large portion of the Pistons' fan base thinks.

it does? when did you conduct this poll? what were the results?

I was typing this same response at the same time. Does that mean we were stereotyping like Davo?

Oh no! Heaven forbid!!!

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
#1251424 06/15/05 02:39 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
if you believe that reading the comments of four or five people on a car forum, and a few media snippets, make for a fair representation of a group of people (i.e. the pistons fan base), you are far less intelligent than you seem.

i think you know better, davo.

So...am I wrong? There is no belief in a conspiracy among the Piston's fan base? You're trying to say that it's silly for me to generalize when pretty much every Pistons fan I've encountered thinks there's a conspiracy.

I guess I shouldn't assume that Islamic terrorists might be Arab either.

Last edited by Davo; 06/15/05 02:40 PM.
#1251425 06/15/05 02:48 PM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
So...am I wrong? There is no belief in a conspiracy among the Piston's fan base? You're trying to say that it's silly for me to generalize when pretty much every Pistons fan I've encountered thinks there's a conspiracy.

I guess I shouldn't assume that Islamic terrorists might be Arab either.

that's not what you said. you are generalizing for the most of the fan base from a very limited sample. if you are amending your statement to say "some of the pistons fan base believes it's a conspiracy", then yes, i will agree.

i'll re-quote you so as to spare you the time of trying to say that you never said these things.

I wouldn't think anything of it if the sign didn't reflect what a large portion of the Pistons' fan base thinks.

Are you a part of the Pistons fan base? I think you and others who have participated in this thread reflect the base well. Plus, I've read and heard plenty of comments from both professionals and fans that suggest Pistons fans believe there is, in fact, a Vast Ref Wing Conspiracy.

and your analogy to racial profiling is a very obvious fallacy of questionable analogy. let me re-phrase it for you.

are most islamic terrorist arab? yes. are all arabs terrorists? no.

are most of the people who think there is an officiating conspiracy pistons fans? yes. do all (or most) piston fans think there is a conspiracy? no.

let me know if you need any further assistance with understanding philosophical logic. i'd be happy to tutor you via pm.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
#1251426 06/15/05 03:38 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
that's not what you said. you are generalizing for the most of the fan base from a very limited sample.
i'll re-quote you so as to spare you the time of trying to say that you never said these things.

Thanks for quoting me, because it proves exactly not what I said. I said a large portion of the fan base thinks there is a conspiracy. No, you can't change what people say so that your point is made.

There is a difference between 'large portion' and 'most'. No, I can't estimate a proportion of fans that believe in something off of just a small sample. But I can estimate the size of a group of people.

Let me know if you need any further assistance with understanding the difference between proportion and size, I'd be happy to tutor you via PM.

and your analogy to racial profiling is a very obvious fallacy of questionable analogy. let me re-phrase it for you.

are most islamic terrorist arab? yes. are all arabs terrorists? no.

are most of the people who think there is an officiating conspiracy pistons fans? yes. do all (or most) piston fans think there is a conspiracy? no.

let me know if you need any further assistance with understanding philosophical logic. i'd be happy to tutor you via pm.

It's only a fallacy if misapplied, which is what you have done here. I was not making the analogy of Pistons conspiracy theorists to Arab Islamic terrorists. Rather, I was saying that since pretty much every Islamic terrorist I have encountered is Arab, it leads me to believe that a large portion of Islamic terrorists are Arab (not most, as you would like me to say in order to prove your point).

It's been a few years since I've taken logic, but I'll have to look up the specific term for changing what people say in order to make a point against them.

#1251427 06/15/05 03:43 PM
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Just for clarification, would 5-10% be a large portion? If not, what do you consider a large portion?

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
#1251428 06/15/05 03:46 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
5-10% is a lot of conspiracy theorists. Again, I can't estimate proportion, but I can infer that there are a lot of people that belong in that group.

#1251429 06/15/05 03:49 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Or perhaps maybe just the few you've come in contact with on an internet message board.

- Tim
#1251430 06/15/05 03:51 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
So are you saying the only conspiracy theorists are those on this internet message board? That would be pretty amazing. I'd then have to research what about CEG makes Detroit Pistons fans think the referees are ganging up on them.

#1251431 06/15/05 03:58 PM
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Newmadamus:
Just for clarification, would 5-10% be a large portion? If not, what do you consider a large portion?

not even that high. i'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's even seen 100 people who think there is a conspiracy. whats the population of metro detroit alone? 3-4M??? assuming 3M, that's .003 percent. quite the statistical powerhouse.

this argument is nearly idiotic.

first off, your concept of statistical validity is trash. the media certianly isn't a source of a representative sample. they will only be showing those who are "newsworthy". that plus four people on an internet message board equates to statistical significance? i think not.

again, davo, i think you are smarter than this. please let it go.

Page 30 of 47 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard