Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
So there I am yesterday sitting by my desk reading a magazine, when some guy enters our showroom. My best buddy greets him, as we all realize it is Bill Rancic, the Apprentice golden boy. Quickly Bill tells him that he is there to look at some pre-owned Porsches.

My buddy lands him on a car; he drives it; tells us he loves it; buddy tells him the price and proceeds to try to close the deal.

Well, our boy Bill ends up offering him like 6 grand less than what the car listed for. So my buddy is like, "have a nice day sir"

Bill goes on and starts talking, "I am from a show, help me out"... We all totally pretend not to know him, "OK great, you are from a show..." Have a nice day sir...

You guys should have been there! The guy just stood there, not believing that SOMEONE does not know who he is. I mean the guy had no game whatsoever! I mean, I expected more than that! It is downright sad that someone like him has to lowball us on a USED Porsche! What a schmuck! And he left like a biggest loser, as nobody gave him any attention because he is a "Celebrity"

Billy boy, Better call Donald and ask him for some more advice, your GAME SUCKS!

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
LOL at you. So you are telling us you are proud of NOT successfully selling a car? Isn't that your job?

So you only want to sell cars to people with "game"?

Ever heard of counter-offering?

Any chance Mr. Rancic walked out because he could sense that you and your buddies were trying to jack up your egos by treating him like a nobody? Last time I heard, contempt for the customer was not a very effective sales technique.

God, I love car salesmen. You don't even have to do a parody of them; they have already done it themselves.

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Tell your buddy to head back to Sales 101.

I don't care who the customer is; if there's only a 6K difference between the initial offer and list price on what is more than likely a high-dollar item with a fair amount of margin in it, there's ALWAYS room to negociate.

I don't pay list price for ANYTHING that is a big ticket item; most intelligent folks that understand the value of a dollar will try to haggle down the price as best they can, no matter how much they make. It sounds like Bill has got some brains; he's looking for a pre-owned luxury sports car, so he's dodging two bullets:

1) The HUGE depreciation hit the moment the first guy drove it off the lot and

2) The probable premium that is almost always tied to high-end foreign sports cars.

To me, Bill Rancic is a damn smart man; even more so for walking out on a couple of stooges that like to play games and screw with a customer instead of conducting business.

FWIW, I have had CEO's, CIO's and CFO's of Fortune 100 companies haggle the living sh!t out of multi-million dollar IT solutions that I've architected.

I guess they have no "game" either.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
<Caltour has a massive stroke. His system could not stand the shock of being in agreement with JaTo>

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Jato, you forgot #3, luxury tax. this is only paid on luxury vehicles when bought brand new, not used. at a sizeable sum at that.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by caltour:
<Caltour has a massive stroke. His system could not stand the shock of being in agreement with JaTo>

I'm in the middle of an epileptic fit myself. I can count the number of times I've agreed with ANYONE that's in driving distance of Bezerkley...

I either got too much sun today or this was something that was so thick-headed that political lines are non-existant in consideration of the transgression.

I'm banking on the latter.

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by svt4stv:
Jato, you forgot #3, luxury tax. this is only paid on luxury vehicles when bought brand new, not used. at a sizeable sum at that.

...and yet ANOTHER reason Bill Rancic is a damn smart man in my book.

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by caltour:
God, I love car salesmen. You don't even have to do a parody of them; they have already done it themselves.

No kidding...

6K is not that big of a difference and seems like a good starting point for negotiations...

Why didn't the salesman give a counter offer? Or is the car he was looking at worth every penny with not one ounce of room to budge?

I dislike car salesmen and how they go about doing their jobs.

www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000 Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions. 99 Suburban 03 Silverado 70 Skylark 79 Electra
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I don't pay for a $30K car without talking them down $6K on the price. I can't imagine what I'd talk them down on a Porsche.

He was probably more in disbelief that you'd turn away a sale on a used Porsche over $6K than the fact that you "didnt know him"

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage 2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
Q
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Q
I guess I was wrong to expect that you guys knew much about Porsche cars... When I first started, my own colleagues laughed at me for the first month, I was so out of the loop.

I would have people offer me crazy numbers and I would get all excited, only to be told by the GM that the most we would discount was 500-1000 off a new car... and not the 5000 that I had told the people I was warking was plausable...

Anyhow, all of the Porsche dealers around the country price their Pre-Owned vehicles with a no-haggle policy, with the price including the Porsche Approved warranty.

With this information, and knowing what these cars sell and what people can buy them for (being well informed) you pretty much know who is there to rock and roll, and who is there to stroke you.

Buyers or these cars rarely talk price. They ask what kind of "break" I can do for them. When offered to take 500-1000 off, they are thankful knowing they are getting a good deal, as most places refuse to take a single penny off.

People who are clueless regularly come in and offer me ridiculous numbers, then get mad when they are rejected. Never mind when I tell them about the value, cars are just cars, and they all drive the same. So why then are they in a Porsche store? Why not buy a damn Kia instead, if they are all the same? Pathetic.

So when someone comes in and offers 6 grand less than the asking price, it becomes downright insulting, and a waste of time. 1k or 2k and there is room for discussion, but any more and you are looking at the door. It is that simple.

Now all of you can say that this is arrogant, but the reality of it all is that this is how it is. I did not make the rules, the rules were made by the market.

In over a year working for Porsche, the most I have ever discounted a Porsche was 2300, and it was because the guy knew the owner.

Now if you knew all of this, and you worked there, what would you do when someone offers you 6000 off? Yeah, let me guess, you would negotiate right? Please!

Don't blame you for jumping on me, but you really have to be in the business to know how these things sell and for what.

The bottom line is that the guy was clueless, then attempted to save face by saying he was "on a show" So what, we are supposed to treat him differently just because he was on TV? Yeah right. If he is so smart as you guys say, then why did he not do some research on the car he is buying, instead of coming in and looking like a complete idiot? Yeah, whatever.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard