Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Alright guys, I finished up the install of the SVT UIM on our Cougar and when we started it up the engine is rocking (front to back) pretty bad and there's a loud tapping which almost sounds like bad lifter tap.......the problem is I didn't touch anything except the UIM, LIM (to clean it) and the other misc stuff to get everything out.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I replaced all of the gaskets, but I can't think of anything that would have been done to cause the tapping......I'll try and get a sound clip here in a sec.

--Adam

G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Here's a video (the engine wasn't rocking as bad as the first time in this though.

It's 4MB

http://www.gforceauto.com/coug_tap.asf (Right-Click, Save-as)

--Adam

G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Okay. update, we reset the ECU and now that tapping has quieted a bit but now there's a popping when you rev the motor a bit.

--Adam

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
sure you didnt drop anything down there why you were working on it?? thats what it sounds like.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I have taken the UIM off about 20 times when I was working on my car, no problems. I agree with the above statement, did something fall down the LIM ? Sounds like something got into the motor. Did you hook up all the hoses including the brass fitting one under the intake piping, I forgot that one sometimes. Good luck with it. -B.

1998 SVT With a few mod's RACECAR IS RACECAR BACKWORDS ! #970 of 2395 Black/blue *****FOR SALE*****
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
A foreign object would have almost immediately shattered a piston. Not to mention I'm very careful when it comes to intake parts like this.

--Adam

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
did you accid unhook a plug wire?...sounds like either that or you have bad vaccum leak...

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
We just started it up again and it is all better, but thanks for all the help.

--Adam

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I'd be willing to bet you dropped a small screw or bolt....As you run the engine it escaped out through the exhaust or disinigrated...........

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I guess thats a possibility, but I doubt it as it would've had to have been a pretty small screw or washer or whatever.

It could've gotten embedded in the cylinder... That happened to my brother in his old mustang.

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard