Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1236844 04/06/05 01:49 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Worst traffic I've been in lately was in Accra, the capital of Ghana (west Africa). This is a city of 2 million plus, with a poorly developed road system and infrastructure, and an abundance of barely-running minibuses, taxis, trucks and private cars. It is not uncommon for downtown workers who live on the outskirts to leave home at 5 or 5:30 am to be at work by 9, such is the level of congestion.

#1236845 04/06/05 02:42 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
BOSTON hands down!!! ALL the freakin streets are one way...they were built Paul Reveres horse, but not a freakin' SUV.....

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
#1236846 04/06/05 03:36 AM
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TheAlmightyMe:
Originally posted by Kokopellian:
Yeah since LA county is so big their traffic is probably the worst, but it tends to be pure volume, vehicle breakdowns and accidents that cause delays. The D.C. Metro area is way smaller, however it's subject to all kinds of crap including regular stuff, inclimate weather, and plain poor driving. I was personally stuck in more traffic jams that last 3+ hours than I care to count. I've known people that have gotten stuck for 6+ hours just as many times. Also, it seems that every year the D.C. metro area has at least one 8+ hour traffic jam and a major pile up of some sort every other year.

LA county is not that big. Granted, it is larger that the Metro DC area; however the condensed area of LA county where the traffic is (city of Los Angeles, and immediate areas), I do not think to be any larger than the Metro DC area. Also keep in mind, our traffic jams can stretch from Los Angeles to San Diego.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe LA is the largest county in the nation.

2006 Mazdaspeed6 1997 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace 1996 Volvo 850-R
#1236847 04/06/05 03:44 AM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by ScarContour:
Worst I've experienced is Atlanta by far. I'm moving there next month and really not looking forward to the traffic.

It's all about living in the right area so that you're going in the opposite direction of traffic to and from work.

It's really not so bad once you learn to deal with it. You can always take MARTA...

....bwhahahahaha!

--JamesT

>--------------< --Chemguru 99 CSVT Frost /Mid. Blue 00 Suzuki SV650 Red, Naked
#1236848 04/06/05 05:45 AM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I was in the USMC and we were on a bus from Camp Pendleton, CA to 29 Palms, CA. It was the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's normally a 2.5 hour drive or so......it took us 14 hours.

When I was actually driving the worst would be coming into CA from CO. There's a checkpoint on I-15 south of Barstow. I think the traffic jam (I mean actual stop-and-go traffic, not just driving slow) was something like 32 miles. Oddly enough, this was directly following Thanksgiving.

Cliffs: Thanksgiving = bad time to drive

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
#1236849 04/06/05 06:25 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
NYC traffic isn't that bad, if you consider that it is the largest city in the nation and 2nd in the world (behind Tokyo, last time I knew, it coud have changed). The whole hub-and-spoke model works quite well with the commuter trains and whatnot. I don't even know if they are in the top ten for commute times in the US.

The worst IMO is DC, any time I have to drive near/through DC travveling to points south I always make sure I go through there between 12 and 6am.

The correlation really seems to be:
"New" cities with poor designs, lots of suburbs and few public transit seem to fair the worst.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
#1236850 04/06/05 06:33 AM
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TheAlmightyMe:
Yeah since LA county is so big their traffic is probably the worst, but it tends to be pure volume, vehicle breakdowns and accidents that cause delays. The D.C. Metro area is way smaller, however it's subject to all kinds of crap including regular stuff, inclimate weather, and plain poor driving. I was personally stuck in more traffic jams that last 3+ hours than I care to count. I've known people that have gotten stuck for 6+ hours just as many times. Also, it seems that every year the D.C. metro area has at least one 8+ hour traffic jam and a major pile up of some sort every other year.

LA county is not that big. Granted, it is larger that the Metro DC area; however the condensed area of LA county where the traffic is (city of Los Angeles, and immediate areas), I do not think to be any larger than the Metro DC area. Also keep in mind, our traffic jams can stretch from Los Angeles to San Diego.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe LA is the largest county in the nation.

i dont think so, possibly population wise but not in physical size. San Bernadino county is about 6x the size of LA county and Kern county (bakersfield) is about 4x its size.
CA counties

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

#1236851 04/06/05 06:41 AM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Seattle traffic sucks. The drive from where I live to Portland is about 4 hours with no traffic. It's taken me 9 hours before, just because I left at the wrong time.

My friend, who is an urban planner, says that adding lanes won't help Seattle either. He says they need a good mass transit system like Portland.

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
#1236852 04/06/05 03:25 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by svt4stv:
i dont think so, possibly population wise but not in physical size. San Bernadino county is about 6x the size of LA county and Kern county (bakersfield) is about 4x its size.
CA counties

I know Jacksonville, FL is the largest city, but that also encompasses over 5 counties. (besides, that isn't what you guys were talking about.. so meh...

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1236853 04/06/05 03:30 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
the freeway going towards downtown PGH... period.

Semper Fi... It's Hard To Be Modest When You Know You're The Best...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard