Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by pdqford:
Working on a '97 Mystique 2.0 - How can we time the cams (i.e, when installing the timing belt) without the special tool?

Thanks in advance. . . ..

You could time it by sight. I know it sounds dumb, but I set the timing twice on my Zetec this morning. Once I used the tool I made (out of an L bracket I picked up at Home Depot) and the second time just by sight.

Make sure cylinder 1 is at TDC. There are hashmarks on the crank pulley, but if your car is like mine they're almost impossible to see and weren't 100% accurate to begin with. Place something like a long screwdriver into cylinder 1 (or 4, they're on the same stroke) and rotate the crank pulley w/ a ratchet (should be a 3/4" bolt, BTW) until the screwdriver stops moving up. I'd suggest rotating the pulley back and forth slightly to be as spot on as possible.

Next, use a large wrench, like a crescent, to rotate each cam so that the guides on the end are level. The guides are keyed, so you can't insert the tool into them if they're 180 degrees off. The bottom of the guides will have to be flush with the surface of the cylinder head.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Without the tool, the cams are going to try and rotate when you put on the belt. Best thing to do is put some of the teeth on the belt around the outsides of the gears and work your way to the center. This way if anything tries to rotate, it all rotates together and your timing isn't affected. VOILA!!

If you're wondering why I set the timing twice, I just finished rebuilding the motor and had to get to the VCT bolts/journals in order to make sure they weren't the cause of the leak I have.

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
just remember, if u set the timing wrong.

This could happen.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
OUCH. is that from the pistons hitting the valves? I got factory cams if anyone needs them.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard