Originally posted by RTStabler51:
How??????

The electric motor is on when the gas motor goes off and vice versa so how does the electric motor ADD hp to the gas motor??

The Accord has a 255hp V6 in it..the hybrid has a 255hp V6 in it along with the electric motors!

Originally posted by ________:

As far as the "enthusiast" part. An eletric motor actually raises an engine's hp and torque ratings considerably. I don't remember the exact figures off-hand, but I want to say the Honda Accord Hybrid has a 60hp motor to go along with the 200hp engine for a combinded 260hp. I believe the Accord Hybrid is also nearly a second faster than it's non Hybrid brother in 0-60 and quarter mile times. HP per dollar, I would venture to guess an eletric motor isn't much more expensive than a turbo. Plus you get added mileage (instead of decreased mileage), quicker response times, and the engine doesn't need any modification as far as fuel delivery, air intake, or exhaust. I could also point out that an electric motor is much more effecient than an internal combustion engine and creates less friction and heat. There are also far more points as to why an electric motor makes more sense.

Yeah, but the hybrid adds the power of the electric motors to the car in the low range to improve torque where it is needed. The hybrid is actually faster because of the fuller combined torque curve.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black