Thanks for the condescending reply...

Since your good with math and research shaving 20 minutes off your commute (40 minutes a day, 200 minutes a week, 800 minutes a month 9600 minutes in a year) is well worth it, IMO. Not that I'll every buy a hybrid...but to some people their time is well worth it.

And over 50% of the hybrids I see on HOV only have one person in them...so I guess alot of people buy them for that specific reason.

Originally posted by fastcougar:
Your logic is backwards ... normally when you commute on a regular basis with people, you do one of two things:

1) You drive the same car all the time and everyone contributes into the "gas" fund
2) You alternate who drives on a schedule (I drive every other day, you drive alternating days) and pay for your own gas.

Regardless, you are paying 1/2 of the gas, thus saving you half of the gas costs. Driving by yourself, regardless if it saves you time, cost you more money not only in the purchase of the car, but also at the pump. Now, if you are willing to spend $6K+ more on the car assume the entire pump price to shave 20 minutes off your commute ... more power to you!

If your only objective is to use HOV by yourself, the point of HOV (stands for High Occupancy Vehicle) is lost on you. The idea is to cut down on traffic congestion, not create a lane of traffic for Hybrids. I personally think HOV lenience for "new technology" hybrids is contrary to it's intended purpose. HOV is intended as a way to promote ride sharing/commuting together to reduce traffic congestion, NOT to promote the purchase of hybrid technology.

Ryan Trollin!