Who's doing the work?

You may as well understand that any engine swap will cost you a $1000 - $1500 to put in, even if it is a direct drop in, just from parts and labor if you don't have a knowledgeable friend.

Also, no car that old will be worth and engine replacement unless you know you will keep it and drive it for a while, at least two years before you decide to sell it!

So think about those questions first. Then if you decide to keep it and fix/replace the engine you will already know that you are committed. At that point you can do some reading here and learn what it takes to drop in a 3L hybrid. Really it isn't difficult at all if you can read and follow directions and the simplest hybrid is going to cost about the same. You can order a prepped block from Buckshot or Brad too I think. Hell, where are you going to be located?
When I get to Alabama I'm probably going to be able to prep a few engine blocks for people to make some extra cash.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black