we used to have pumps like that around here. yeeeears ago. but for obvious reasons they stopped doing that. hell, there are very few places around here where you can still find stations that pump the gas for you; mostly in rich areas. there are basically three ways to pay here. you can walk in, hand the clerk a $20 and say $15 on number 4 and get your change (or go for all $20). if you fill up and are due change, you have to walk back inside and get your change. (not good for a city hell bent on being in a hurry for everything).
using plastic can bring two scenarios: you can walk in and swipe the card and say $15 on number 4 and itll work like cash. this is basically the same as paying at the pump. you can insert your card, put in your pin number, and you will be charged for however much gas you take. ( fast and easy)

or, you can give them the card, put in gas, and then sign for the amount afterwards. (i havent seen this one in a long time).

lol, i remember the Mobil station by my house used to take checks from regular customers.

i remember passing through Oregon iirc, maybe WA?, and stopped to put gas in the car. some teenage kid took the pump from my hand and started pumping my gas. i was like, "what are you doing?" (thinking he was looking for a handout). he replied that per state law people are not allowed to pump their own gas. i looked over and saw about three teenagers sitting there just chatting waiting for cars to come in. i was like wth? wow, that must cost the station's owner some $.

i was just kidding by my 1st statement. i dont condone ripping off small business owners. i could see teengers doing it as a stupid prank but not as a continued activity.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.