Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1224723 03/25/05 04:53 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
The S-AFC (and MAFturburner and MAF Calibrators and anything that alters signals to the ECU) will eventually be leanered around by the ECU beacuase the ECU will see that it is being fed false signals.
A chip is an EEPROM that plugs into the ECU that replaces the ROM in the ECU.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1224724 03/25/05 01:19 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
aha.....i see...how "long" does it take for that to happen?? what if you reset the ecu from time to time??? wish i would've known that before i droped the 250 on the safc.....

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
#1224725 03/25/05 01:25 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
The ECU will learn around the S-AFC and any other "signal changing" electronics.

That's not entirely true. This stuff has been discussed ad nauseum in the 3L and forced induction forums. Most of the time these discussions are there because bigger mods require more fixes.

Anyway, the settings made at full throttle are not tuned out because there is no O2 sensor input at that time.

The settings made at part throttle and cruise do have O2 sensor input and they will be adjusted a bit.
But they DON'T tune out the adjustments from the SAFC.
The pcm will just tune the car back to a basic stoichiometric condition. IF you did something drastic like add bigger injectors, the pcm is only going to trim back so far. If you alter the airflow signal to a percentage scaled off the original, then it is a lot closer and the pcm will use the O2 signal to "fine tune" the air fuel.

Again, there is no full throttle adjustment of the SAFC.
There part throttle adjustments are just to fine tune the A/F which you would want the pcm to do anyway since for efficiency.

Now, back to the cut up maf. I don't have a problem cutting out a maf to do an experiment, but you didn't do any qualitative analysis other than say 'my butt dyno is better' and 'so is my friends'

That would still be excusable if you weren't on a forum that has had everyone, INCLUDING me, cut mafs a long time ago to see what would happen and found out that it sucks and is dangerous.
I at least used an eManage to tune in the cut maf and I didn't cut the whole sampling tube out.
If you had searched, you wouldn't be out the extra $20 right now. If you were more unlucky, you might be spending a thousand dollars replacing internal engine parts when the car went lean under full throttle.

Then to post it almost like you thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....I thought that was crap.
I don't think you are crap, nor the act of experimenting and learning. Just that this is already well covered and you don't need to try and reinvent the fricking wheel. Learn from other peoples mistakes and go on and make some NEW mistakes. THAT is why we have innovations and new technology....people BUILD on the knowledge that other people already put their effort into.

Sorry about the soap box speach, but after your soap box speach, I felt I had to set the record straight so you don't go off playing the Martyr like everyone is out to get you, instead of taking the constructive criticism for what it's worth.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1224726 03/25/05 02:00 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
you should be a motovational speaker!!!

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
#1224727 03/25/05 04:06 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Thanks for coming in and setting the record straight.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1224728 03/25/05 04:14 PM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
What I think is hilarious is that the title has been changed since the second post and nothing has been done to change it back, even after two posts by him as well.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1224729 03/25/05 04:23 PM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
The funny thing is I didn't think it was that great, I was just really surprized that it was faster. That wasn't a soap box speach. I just thought your comments were completely uncalled for and quite rude. Think about it you called me "dummy of the day" there is no explanation for that except the fact that you were being a jerk. But anyway thanks for trying to set it straight:)

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
#1224730 03/25/05 06:30 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I re-read the 1st post and I am confused...
Do you not have a functioning MAF?

If you do, forgrt the following.

If you don't, then....
If the car has no MAF doesn't it go into limp mode?
Doesn't limp mode cause the car to run rich and add timing?
Wouldn't this cause a loss in power?

Are you still using the Duratec MAF?

When you change the airflow (like bigger MAF or alter the MAF) is the fuel pressure setting the only thing your changing to adjust A/F ratio?

#1224731 03/26/05 04:25 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well....ok. You're right, I shouldn't have labeled the post that way. Sorry, I guess I was in an aggressive mood and could have left that out. However, everything else I wrote still stands.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1224732 03/28/05 01:09 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
I still have the duratec MAF and its still conected but the actual sensor part of the MAF is gone. I would think the car would go into limp mode yes. I got bigger injectors and adjusted the fuel pressure. I need a new MAF and I am wondering if the previous one was bad or it might just be time to dyno the thing and tune it that way.

ATX MTX swap, rear drum disc swap, drilled rotors, ported intake, optim throttle body, CAI, 7.5L MAF, adj. fuel regulator, longtube headers, underdrive pulley, no EGR, low inpedence bigger injectors, 2002 Focus Swap
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard