Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ALIAS Jerk:
Originally posted by getlucky151:
The extrude honed ports, LIM and UIM, just to name 2. If I were you, Id drop a fairly new 3L in it, and maybe later on down the road, put a turbo on it!

I agree... a 3L SVT even without a Turbo goes like crazy.

Hell I'll buy the SVT off you for the $600 you paid for it. Then I'll build a 3L throw in some nice seats and sell it!

A running SVT with 3L and aftermarket goodies is somethingsomeone would want to buy moreso than an ATX ho-hum Contour.

Save the SVT, sell a turd!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by SHOTIME2669:

-I will as far as the externals of the car are concerned have a CSVT looking car for 3/4 less of the price of what a used CSVT costs.

Exactly. Your not factoring in the Resale value of ATX vs SVT. Think about it this way. Whatever money you put into your contour, you're not going to make back when you sell the car 3 yrs later. You sell your ATX contour and invest part of that money into your SVT, (say $3k) assuming everything else is in good condition you now have a car with new engine that's worth 2-3 times as much as your ATX contour. With your 1k purchase price + 3k investment, you would get to drive it for couple years and still make a profit out of it. it seems like a no brainer to me, financially.

I don't know why so many people are trying to persuade you to keep the car, you should just do what you want it's your money. Instead people should start calling dibs on buying the SVT w/o engine w/o seats w/o body kit, there's a handful of guys here that would gladly take a car in that condition for the price you got it for - perfect for a project.

00 CSVT #390
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I wouldn't want it without the body kit.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Q
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Q
Originally posted by irda:
Originally posted by SHOTIME2669:

-I will as far as the externals of the car are concerned have a CSVT looking car for 3/4 less of the price of what a used CSVT costs.

Exactly. Your not factoring in the Resale value of ATX vs SVT. Think about it this way. Whatever money you put into your contour, you're not going to make back when you sell the car 3 yrs later. You sell your ATX contour and invest part of that money into your SVT, (say $3k) assuming everything else is in good condition you now have a car with new engine that's worth 2-3 times as much as your ATX contour. With your 1k purchase price + 3k investment, you would get to drive it for couple years and still make a profit out of it. it seems like a no brainer to me, financially.

I don't know why so many people are trying to persuade you to keep the car, you should just do what you want it's your money. Instead people should start calling dibs on buying the SVT w/o engine w/o seats , there's a handful of guys here that would gladly take a car in that condition for the price you got it for - perfect for a project.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Last edited by Quick_SVT; 03/10/05 08:57 PM.

#3162 of 6535 98 SVT Silver frost Viper Responder 791 w/ 2way remote start Let the modding begin!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My brother is looking for a car, and im looking for a project.

You should sell me the un-running SVT

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well I've given in. It makes sense to keep the car.

Oh as a reply to an earlier post the SHO isnt running right now... I have to replace the oil cooler first, otherwise it will be completely be out of oil after driving it 10 feet. I'm waiting on the part to come in the mail.

Anyway heres a little more info on the CSVT. I do not actually have it at my house, yet. Its in the process of getting shipped here. I spoke with the previous owner quite indepth the other day to try and figure out what exactly happen to the engine when it blew. This is what he said. His mechanic told him it threw a rod (which is what I expected) and that the rod went through the oil pan, killing it. So I don't know the extent of the damage. I'm just hoping that since it went through the oil pan that the piston didnt come back up and hit the valves on the cylinder head. That way I can salvage the heads and the cams.

Assuming that I can keep the heads I wouldnt mind having a 3L bottom end on it, plus it seems like they are pretty cheap and easy to find with the abundance of Taurus's. I'm curious though... the 3L your talking about are these the 92-95 Taurus engines or the newer style 00+ 3L's. I also read on the shoshop.com website that these engines have to be modified to fit the CSVT heads. I dont have the time to actually do the engine swap myself my dads friend will probably do it for me. Both my dad and this friend of his work for Ford so I can get parts for cheap. Also I already have a set of Corbeau Forza seats with matching 4pt harnesses but they are for my Camaro. Although they are not in the car so I could probably throw them in the CSVT until I get a hold of some factory seats.

Also I guess another option is putting another 2.5L in the car. Is there a difference in the bottom end of a regular tour versus the CSVT? Because those 2.5L blocks are pretty easy to come across in junk yards too.

Ok for the guy out there that said learn to drive a stick... I already know how. But as I'm sure most of you know having a stick in traffic blows azz. My brother has a SVT Focus (so would that be FSVT?) with a blower and hes always complaining as do most of my friends.

edit* Oh yea as an added bonus I found out that the car has a Borla catback exhaust and an alarm system.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Quote:

Anyway heres a little more info on the CSVT. I do not actually have it at my house, yet. Its in the process of getting shipped here. I spoke with the previous owner quite indepth the other day to try and figure out what exactly happen to the engine when it blew. This is what he said. His mechanic told him it threw a rod (which is what I expected) and that the rod went through the oil pan, killing it.

that would be kinda hard to do. but still possible.

Quote:

Assuming that I can keep the heads I wouldnt mind having a 3L bottom end on it, plus it seems like they are pretty cheap and easy to find with the abundance of Taurus's. I'm curious though... the 3L your talking about are these the 92-95 Taurus engines or the newer style 00+ 3L's. I also read on the shoshop.com website that these engines have to be modified to fit the CSVT heads. I dont have the time to actually do the engine swap myself my dads friend will probably do it for me. Both my dad and this friend of his work for Ford so I can get parts for cheap.

even if the heads are damaged you can still use the cams which would be a better choice then using the 2.5L heads. The 3L heads will flow better and have an extra drain back so the oil doesn't pool in the heads nearly as much. as for the year well you have to make a decision as to what year you want. check this FAQ out to see which path you would like to take. me personally i would go with a 01+ 3L. also check the 3L section on here too.

as for the parts that are the same from a regular 2.5 to the svt 2.5

well if you broke a rod you could just get some regular 2.5 rods and use those, gonna spend a decent amount tho. if the block is cracked a regular 2.5 block will work but you will need to swap a lot of parts off the svt to make the new engine like the old. check this site to see what difference between the 2 cars are. linky

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I actually found another CSVT engine out of a 98 that only has 43k on it. I'm getting it for $850, complete. So I may be able to make some of my money back selling the parts off of the old engine that are still good. I'm thinking the intake and fuel rails for sure and then possibly the heads if they check out ok.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
C
CSVT#49 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well it has been a while since I first planned on buying the car I own. So far I have not done that much to it.

-Mirko Splitter
-WR Headers (sitting in a box, waiting to buy flex pipe)
-Painted inner headlights black
-Saleen numbering on front bumper (thanks Parkedcar)
-Blacked out taillights
-Aftermarket Amplifier after finding out that all of the speakers in the car are RF 6x8's.
-Still saving money for a 3L and turbo.

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Parts really arent expensive for the 3L engine. Since you are a member of CEG you will get a discount with Steve Mullins at Tousley ford, all you have to ask for is the CEG and SVT discount and you will get form 25 to 45% off depending upon what you are purchasing. Plus, you dont HAVE to buy a new 3L. A good 3L duratec can be had for around $400-600 with low miles, so another plus is that you wont have to break the engine in. You will get more performance out of a stock motor, and if you really have some extra cash you can throw a set of headers on there as well as a CAI, Use the SVT cams that came with the SVT... Yeah, you will push some major power. Believe me, listen to all of these guys, you will be unhappy with an ATX duratec contour that is all show and no go if what you want is speed. Your best bang for a buck would be to build up a 3L.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard