Originally posted by 99_2.5_V6:
TSB 04-15-16

ISSUE

Some 1997-1998 Contour/Mystique and 1999 Cougar vehicles equipped with the 2.5L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1) and/or P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 2).

ACTION

Replacement of catalysts is no longer necessary to address the most common causes of this condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTION Replacement of catalysts is no longer necessary to address the most common causes of this condition.

This is a laugh-- it's no long a problem because it it doesn't help Ford's bottom line? Correct?
Unless I've completely mis-undetstood the "pre-cats" problems, I've been under the assumation that the cores/substrate are burning up (not sure of the correct term)? The clogging was because or melting or disintegration of the substrate? Is this a design problem too small area for the amount heat this engine produces or is it all these minor-mifires I see ever 15k-20k miles. (new plugs eliminates).
Of course this would mean the bank one pre-cat would be the first one to go. Two contour owners that have had them replaced the where told only one was bad but both where replaced?

Any ideas or thoughts!

TNX
Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)