Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by meancontour:
Also when we (overspent) on our Van last year, we were counting on the Contour's payments ending, and that money going towards the van.

I know that your advice is good, but not always realistic. Kids and wives seem to always need something.

Thanks for your input.

Well, I have a wife and 4 kids, and they all need something, too, but luckily my wife understands the value of saving money. (Well, maybe she understands it a bit too well. )

I understand what you're saying about being realistic. It's realistic for me that when our Minivan paid off last year, there was nothing else in particular for that money to go into. So, it started going into savings. Meanwhile we were able to refinance the mortgage and add to the house with only a slight bump in our monthly payment. I live in one of the cheapest areas in the country, and send my kids to a Catholic school system that doesn't charge tuition. I live about 4 miles from work, so my yearly mileage is very low.

I was fortunate in that my Contour didn't really need major repairs while the van payments were going out. I think we did the same thing you did, at one time. The Contour paid off, and we got the minivan, along with the house payment, etc. We didn't really have much of a cash reserve. We got lucky.

Now, if my company transferred us anywhere else, like, say, Chicago or St Louis, our cost of living would shoot up considerably. I'm not sure where we'd be, then. Probably close to where you are, with a 10 year old car creeping toward 100k, and maybe a longer commute, a higher house payment, tuition... Oh yeah, the van's extended warranty runs out in a year. All the more reason to build up savings now, I guess.

In short, I understand your situation because I've lived it to a degree. But there's always the future.

You mean there is hope? That's good to hear, THANKS ! ! !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4