Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by meancontour:
So are Contours disposable? Mine 1998 just hit 100K miles and it seems to be dieing. I have replaced a hub and bearing (and need a 2nd), O2 sensors, speed sensors, clutch and not I am about to go pay for new Timing chain guides and tensioners.

We have owned it since we bought it new with 12 miles. We change the oil regularly, and try to do routine upkeep. To be fair it did give us many years with little trouble.

It just seems that the past 20K miles or so, everything has been going wrong with it. I feel like I am slowly replacing everything but the body.

Is that the reason that most of the enthusiasts (like people on this site) are so knowledgable and experienced with their cars? They have had to be to keep them running?

Point #1: Machines wear out. Regular oil changes are good, but they won't prevent a wheel bearing from going bad. Wheel bearings are "R&R" items that wear. In fact, everything you cite is pretty much a normal wear item, and you're lucky to get 100k before having to do them.

Point #2: Americans tend to have somewhat unrealistic expectations of their cars. It is very common to feel the way you are feeling. I've felt it.

Point #3: Complex systems require "maintenance" and sometimes, "repair," which equals "money." My house and my car are about the same age. Should I replace my house when the furnace stops working? My car is in better shape than the house because it's paid off. Most cars are available with warranties that will cover you for at least the term of the loan. After that, you are on your own, but not "free." Plan for the expense of ownership.

Point #4: This car is no worse than most others. Some cars are more "reliable," but might have more expensive "repairs" when things do go wrong. Most "reliability" rating systems, such as JD Power, or Consumer Reports, are statistically tainted in some way. Not that they aren't useful, but you just about need a degree in statistics (and maybe psychology) to truly understand what the data really mean, (apart from what they want you to think.)

Point #5: Enthusiasts are knowledgeable about these cars for several reasons. It's a car worth knowing, for one, and doing the simple stuff yourself can save you a ton of money, for another. Besides, true enthusiasts are going to learn about whatever car they own.

Thanks. You make a lot of good points. I guess there is no easy answer, cars cost money.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4