Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1164451 01/25/05 02:11 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Looking at the canada rules it looks like your basic rules are the same with the addition of that strange (to me) preperation point schedule (nothing like that in the US)

In the US the two main classes for the contour to run is GS or STS (a street tire class)

For street tire classes most people run either the Falken Azenis RT-215 or the Kumho MX (my preference) Falken is also coming out with a "better" Azenis RT-615 early this year so if you are able to wait you might want to look at that for a street AutoX tires

I did not see anything in the canada rules I was reading about a street tire type of class.

For longer lasting R compound tires I have heard good things about the RA-1 and the Victoracers. In the spring I hope to go with the V710's if they come out with the right size for my miata(should be here anytime now). but if you go for R compound tires you will most likely need to have a second set of rims for AutoX depending on how much other driving you do.

For either of the Standard AutoX "Street tires" you will find your size choices very limited I ran the 205/55/16 MX's but it might be better to run the 215/45/16 in the falken's but if it gets at all hot where you AutoX be prepared to spray down the falken RT-215's with water between runs. The RT-615's are said to be better but that are not out and running yet so I dont know if this is true or not. I also am not sure what sizes are coming out with the RT-615.

If you already have or can pick up cheap a different set of wheels/tires for either your normal street driving or your AutoX driving I would get some sort of R compound tires and swap them on for the weekend or at the event.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
#1164452 01/25/05 04:08 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Already have FSVT rims for daily driving, so the 16's are strictly for auto x. The only reason I would get summers instead of R compounds on the 16's is lack of $$$

Thanks for all the info guys and keep it coming

CSVT Feels Like Heaven Goes Like Hell Profile
#1164453 01/25/05 02:28 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by gotapex:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Honestly, the Azenis are not really street tires. They simply have the treadwear rating inflated (so that they're allowed in SCCA street tire class). They grip right about the same level as the Yok A048R's and Toyo RA1's, though heat management doesn't seem quite as good (that may not matter to you, depending on the speeds of your auto-x course).

This is pretty much BS when you look at how long they last. "True" DOT R's grip better, too.

You've found them to last longer than what other DOT R?

What do I know? I know people who've put 2 seasons on them and 10,000 road miles or more, to boot. There was an urban legend about them "really" being label-engineered R-DOTs when they first came out, and people were saying you'd have to be crazy to drive them on the street, etc. etc. It all turned out to be bull.

I know the UTQC ratings are subject to a bit of fudging, and not regulated by any central agency. Yeah, there's opportunity for abuse, there, but I thought this story died 2 years ago. Apparently your personal experience has been different.

Wow, that's excellent life! That's far longer than I get on my all season road tires.

I'm not doubting your experience. I'm just wondering which R tires you've found to be noticably shorter lifed than the Azenis.

I've found them to be very short lived on the track, matching the experience of some of the Lotus Elise and MR2 owners (some of them nationally ranked). I personally like roadracing more than auto-x, so I'm probably a bit harder on tires that have problem with heat. This being said, there shouldn't be that big of a difference though, I think.

I'm trying Pirelli Corsa's next:

Well, my own experience is limited. Allow me to pull my foot out of my mouth. I think experiences vary, and most people get a lot of life out of these tires, and many run them on the street. I've heard of people driving A032's to an event, too, because they are not as soft as Hoosiers. Not all R's are the same.

Track use is a lot tougher on tires than autocross. You wouldn't want to use Hoosier "A's" on a road course, either. The Azenis are optimized for autocross, and even then they tend to get "greasy" after a few runs in deep summer. That would explain your "short life" experience with the Azenis on track, but it doesn't bode well for my argument, either.

Oh well. I don't know enough to argue the point, but if you haven't been to SCCAforums.com, I'm sure there's plenty of discussion in the archives, from smarter people than me.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard