Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T

Lift the front end off the ground and spin the wheel by hand and you should detect the bad wheel bearing, although I cant say I ever heard one squeal...more of a whirring type grinding noise. You must remove the entire hub assy to change the bearing and its about a 2" thick bearing pressed in and retained with a big C-Clip. Do not attempt the job yourself...The guy at the garage who pressed my old one out and new on in, could have injured himself when my old one shattered when taking it out. Although I did remove the hub assy myself and bought the new bearing at around $45 Can. and $35 Can to have them press it out and install new one.So it cost me $80.00 to do it myself not incl my time...I have heard of people paying as low as $150 for the whole job. So its not worth doing yourself.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Hmmm. . .
sounds like the consensus is a wheel bearing issue.

Since the noise is coming from the right side, when I turn right, I'm assuming it's the passenger side wheel bearing. . .I'll have them install the stage 2 axle while everything is off as well . . .2 in 1 I guess. . .

Are "aftermarket" bearings better than standard issue Ford OEM ones?? hint hint, Stazi, does your company make them out of molybedium or something?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Hmmm. . .
sounds like the consensus is a wheel bearing issue.

Since the noise is coming from the right side, when I turn right, I'm assuming it's the passenger side wheel bearing. . .I'll have them install the stage 2 axle while everything is off as well . . .2 in 1 I guess. . .

Are "aftermarket" bearings better than standard issue Ford OEM ones?? hint hint, Stazi, does your company make them out of molybedium or something?

We ARE he OEM bearing supplier - SKF. Ford doesn't make their own bearings.

I just actually changed a wheel bearing yesterday on a CEGer's car. If you don't have a 5 tonne press, you aint gonna do it yourself.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
interesting new development-

since I've been thoroughly convinced that this is a wheel bearing problem, I haven't driven the car.

now the car won't start, like the battery is dead. All the lights are dim, it won't even turn over, it sounds as if it is dying.

SO, I'm starting to wonder, that noise from the passenger side of the car, was that the alternator DYING?? And the noise I heard was the power steering (an accessory running off of the alternator belt) just kind of straining the system??

At this point, I'm not going to drive the car until I figure out whether I should buy a new battery and take it to the pros (Ford dealership, Mastercare, etc.) BTW, the optima battery is < 1 year old. Is it rechargeable??

S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Just as a follow up, the alternator was replaced, and everything is copasetic. The squealing noise was clearly the power steering pump straining since the alternator was dying. Wheel bearings didn't need to be replaced (had axle replaced at time of installation). . .everything is perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard