Hi! Thank you for replying!! Yes, my '95 Contour SE MTX (60K) has a V-6 Duratec. You're right (thanks!), it's not clear yet the engine was fried, but their words were, "I have some bad news; your engine is dead", and the symptoms sounded bad - started it once, got three loud clunks like hitting a fender hard with a fist then the engine-running backward sound, so they haven't started it since and didn't want to even start it again without conferring with the Ford Dealer come Monday. Based on the symptoms and the work done (not a whole lot to go on) the more I can learn between now and Monday the better, so all thoughts/theories are welcome.

I can't imagine why they'd mess with the serpentine belt, but it's good to brainstorm all possibilities! We put one on a bit back and my 'Tour was in only for a general visual inspection and a flush/refill of brakes/clutch, tranny, power steering, and coolant... but who knows...

From info I've gotten through the Contour listserve it sounds like if the clutch was not bled correctly, so was not engaged when they started the car (if they started it in first, not neutral) this racket could occur. Perhaps they didn't properly bleed the clutch. Or what would happen if they forgot about it all together when they flushed the brakes?

Your theory about the battery is interesting. What would happen if they hooked up the battery backwards? I'm thinking total electric fry, something possibly traceable. I think we'll be down there at 9am, Monday, to look the car over, to see if my husband can spot anything obvious. It sounds like a good idea to tote the digital, discreetly.

My hope is there is some explanation besides permanent engine failure. The car ran like a top, and there was no indication of timing chain or other problems when I dropped it off. The service manager agrees it ran great, though is still saying this could be a coincidence. They've been decent in the past so I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but definitely am keeping rental (turned me down on this one already)/attorney/moving the car elsewhere in mind!

Thank you!

Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Frankly, it sounds to me like they left a wrench or sup'm under the hood when they tried to move your car, or they hooked the battery up backwards. There is only 1 reason I can think of that the timing chains in V-6 should suddenly go out of timing - if they turned the engine by hand in a counter-clockwise direction for some reason. *snip* Have hubby run up to the shop with a digital camera, lift the hood & check the battery to make sure that the (-) battery terminal is toward the driver fender side of the car. If it's not, you know they messed up and now you have proof with a picture of it. Otherwise, they probably put a new serpantine belt on the car & turned the engine the wrong way by hand in order to assit in installation.

Lynn '95 Contour SE MTX, electric red, "Ferret II"