Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
#1138700 01/31/05 02:49 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I have a tiny ass brush...I'm debating getting a big one. This weekend I realized the top 5 is very hard to stay in and tuning is what makes a the BIG differences.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1138701 01/31/05 03:55 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
This weekend I realized the top 5 is very hard to stay in and tuning is what makes a the BIG differences.

Really? I didn't know! lol

If you brush out your ski's before you run and your using a Flourocarbon wax only use that brush when you have that wax. Cuase it will remove some of the wax and keep it in the brush. If you want a Rocket of a board then get Cera F. the temp doesn't make a massive difference i think theres fc100 and fc200. I used to use 100 iirc. But its 130 a bottle. Cera nova HF is 50ish for three sticks and LF or FLG is like 20ish. Obviously the higher FC the faster.

I DNF'd many races cuase my ski's where way to fast. I think my shophmore year i only finished like 3 or 4 GS races. Cera F isn't something that you put on and you just dominate. Your ski's/board becomes a totally different beast. Its like trying to learn control all over again.

With me i had 4 pairs of ski's 2 slalom 2 GS so i could vary the amount. IT seem like you race the same board for both? If your racing Slalom with alot of Flouro you could be in for a ride.

As stated before if you ever need help making them faster I'll Help ya. I used to let people use my Cera F brush at the top of the run and alot of times they would dnf from the added speed. IF you have ever used Cera F you knwo what im talking about. I'm not sure if SHarkey has or not. I dno't know how the Lower Pensula was but i had to do everything possible to stay in front of the Assclowns from Marquette. There whole team would finish in the top 10 all 6 people.

Let me know if you need help pete

#1138702 01/31/05 04:45 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
This weekend I realized the top 5 is very hard to stay in and tuning is what makes a the BIG differences.

B.S.!!!!! Tune makes a small difference. Kinda like a cold air intake on a Ferrari. If you think you're gonna win a race cause of Cera F, you probably also think your spark plug grounding kit gave you 20HP.
A good skier on a crap ski will beat a crap skier on a good ski anyday. Talent is key. I am a fan of having good equipment, but I also think good equipment will only take you as far as your talent will allow.
Tuning will make your equipment more predictable, but if your technique sucks, you're still gonna suck. It sounds like your ability is at or above your competition, so tuning MIGHT make the difference. It will at least make you think you've done your best to prepare. That's worth just as much as anything else. the mental aspect of knowing where your equipment is at in a physical sense.
Just don't put a ton of stock in it. Without seeing your race I can tell you that ANYBODY in HS or college can trim .5 seconds in the start and first 3 gates. Ski races are won and lost everyday at the start gate. Just ask a drag racer that wins with a slower car. Of course, this is just my opinion.
see you at the hill! I'll be the one buzzing past you, but maybe on my noggin!

I like to think I put the 'func' in functioning alcoholic. '03 3/4 ton Chevy 4dr, '04 350Z, '01 CBR 929rr Erion Edition, '01 CR250R, '74 Honda CB360 Cafe racer project- (100+hp/ltr.), '83 Rabbit project car.
#1138703 01/31/05 04:56 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
I have raced the Same Super G course many times on different ski's and different wax set ups.

In HS i had 2 7s's and 2 EX's.. My training pair where about 7/10's slower than my race pair. My buddy also had a pair of Race Stock Dynastar Coupe De mode(or however it was spelt) and they where on par with my training pair. I had one of the fastest set of GS ski's and Probably the Fastest slalom ski's in the UP my senior year. I was one of 3 people who would wax cera F on there slalom ski's in the UP. Im a firm believer that Tune Makes a HUGE difference especially in the Speed Events. When you get down to the Slalom level its alot more technique than tune. But almost anyone can race Super G or Downhill and be fast. In these events Tune and Body positioning and edge hold is Major!

So your saying everyone Equal talent ect ect. Someone using cera nova hc8 can hang with someone using Cera F???? Ya i might not be cup racing but i don't believe that for a second.

#1138704 01/31/05 05:39 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Sharkey:

B.S.!!!!! Tune makes a small difference. Kinda like a cold air intake on a Ferrari. If you think you're gonna win a race cause of Cera F, you probably also think your spark plug grounding kit gave you 20HP.
A good skier on a crap ski will beat a crap skier on a good ski anyday. Talent is key. I am a fan of having good equipment, but I also think good equipment will only take you as far as your talent will allow.
Tuning will make your equipment more predictable, but if your technique sucks, you're still gonna suck. It sounds like your ability is at or above your competition, so tuning MIGHT make the difference. It will at least make you think you've done your best to prepare. That's worth just as much as anything else. the mental aspect of knowing where your equipment is at in a physical sense.
Just don't put a ton of stock in it. Without seeing your race I can tell you that ANYBODY in HS or college can trim .5 seconds in the start and first 3 gates. Ski races are won and lost everyday at the start gate. Just ask a drag racer that wins with a slower car. Of course, this is just my opinion.
see you at the hill! I'll be the one buzzing past you, but maybe on my noggin!

I should've been more specific...I had chunks of wax that i hadn't scraped off....that makes a difference.

#1138705 01/31/05 05:46 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I had chunks in my farts on the lift yesterday.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1138706 01/31/05 05:58 PM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I'll stop bitching about being slow....

#1138707 01/31/05 06:27 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by SteedaSan:

So your saying everyone Equal talent ect ect. Someone using cera nova hc8 can hang with someone using Cera F???? Ya i might not be cup racing but i don't believe that for a second.

That's exactly NOT what i'm saying. Apparently i'm not being clear or you can't read.... I'm saying at the college level the competition/talent is nowhere near as matched, thus making tune even less of an issue.
And anyway, aren't you the one telling us all that you blew out of gates because your skis were too fast? I can't believe you would expect a young racer to take you seriously with a statement like that. You should have practiced more instead of spending 2 hours a night waxing your stuff. Maybe if your skis were slower you'd finish more. A slow run with a time is better than a fast DNF.
Again, this is just my opinion. I could really give a damn what either of you do.

I like to think I put the 'func' in functioning alcoholic. '03 3/4 ton Chevy 4dr, '04 350Z, '01 CBR 929rr Erion Edition, '01 CR250R, '74 Honda CB360 Cafe racer project- (100+hp/ltr.), '83 Rabbit project car.
#1138708 01/31/05 06:52 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Yep and if you never run Cera F then you never can get used to the speed! I could Careless if i finished a race or not. One 2 races mattered in HS racing Regionals and States. My Sophmore year I crashed alot, Junior and serior year i think i crashed 3 times. And I was way faster ya I learned more but i was used to the speed and inturn why I was All UP A team. When I was a sophmore I started running Cera F. You gotta learn Some day and crashing is a part of ski racing so why not have a shot at the top?

You Obviously never raced in the UP. Everyone uses Cera F in the top 20... Wanna stay there you need to learn how also.. I understand about the talent gap but tune is also a way to make up the gap. I used to practice every day after school during the winter months so I think i trained enough, I would drive to marquette to train with them at night since they where the only hill with night skiing around. The only way to prepare yourself for racing with Cera F is training with it so I did every chance I had. As stated its lke relearning control all over.

When I was out at mt Hood in july'96 i waxed everyday with cera F becuase I knew when I got home I was gonna be racing with it. Even if you train everyday your ability can only get you so far.Yes maybe world cup level maybe not. But the correct Race tune makes a world of difference for one who can handle it.

A young racer is the best to learn high flouro wax. hes a freshman in college prob gonna race another 3 years. so if he sucks it up this year cuase is board is faster than everyone elses big deal guess whats gonna happen next year..

#1 Pete Kahn 24.98
#2 Jonny Dickcheese 25.47

Get the point!

I have taken someone who didn't ever ski before made them learn on my Racing ski's and thought him how to race and be in the top 10 in 2 years time... Ya maybe hes a natural but Ski racing in the UP is a very competive sport and to be in the top 10 out of 50-60 racers quite a big deal!

You might be a great skier and all i don't know, I have raced against people from lower michigan and hung out with a few from the Clare ski team. The lower michigan rational about wax majorlly differs from the UP take on it. Lower MI seemed to us cera F as a race day only wax and i seen many crash becuase of that reason. In the UP many of US used it every day even free skiing.

Honestly it don't matter to me if pete uses it or not. He wants to get faster and learn how to handle the extra speed he will have to train and race with it.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  WorldTour_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard