Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by therouer:
The one thing that really made a huge jump was to have my injectors cleaned using the Snap On Motorvac. From what I've read when I had a Volvo, this is the best system to clean the fuel system.

Motorvac, from research, sounds interesting. Is it snake oil, or do others have any experience with this? And how does it stack up to the 'on the engine method'? (Cost v Benefit)
Any opinions?

Cheers,
T

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
IIRC, it pumps cleaner through the injectors and intake as well as adding cleaner to the tank. It was $100 at Canadian Tire (other have it too), and I noticed a difference.

That said, I will likely pull the manifolds on my car this spring for a "proper" cleaning....

Sea Foam is now available in Canada, and it apparently worsk using the "on the car" method with great effect, as well as going in the tank. Strong stuff........

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
IIRC, it pumps cleaner through the injectors and intake as well as adding cleaner to the tank. It was $100 at Canadian Tire (other have it too), and I noticed a difference.

That said, I will likely pull the manifolds on my car this spring for a "proper" cleaning....

Sea Foam is now available in Canada, and it apparently worsk using the "on the car" method with great effect, as well as going in the tank. Strong stuff........

As for the guy with the bad mileage, (apologies if this has been mentiuoned, I didn't go thorough all 5 pages) has he checked if his brakes were dragging? That would certainly do it.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by desiboy1530:
as you all might know from my newest post, the car is at the dealer gettin its waterpump changed

i'm havin them really look into the fuel consumption issue. they are goin to charge me $80 CAD to run some mobile computer test, where they drive the car 1 km and run some test, then they will get the fuel consuption from that.. i hope its worth it!

well they "didnt have time" to run the test... so i'll never get the dealer to figure out this issue.. but they replaced the water pump

98 cabernet red Mystique ATX LS sport Duratec hit up my Car Profile for details
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
wp changes on the auto=fun fun, especially if you have big hands. Did you by chance try the fuel filter and cleaner injected in the filter method?

99 Black Contour SE Sport
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Well i had a chance to clean the TB with aerosol throttle body cleaner
i did the "on the engine" method of cleaning my UIM...used prestone concentrated fuel injector cleaner for that...damn did i ever generate a big cloud of thick toxic smoke during the whole process. and it stank

i also attempted to clean what i believed to be the MAF with electrical contact aerosol cleaner.
the MAF is the metal piece with the black connector on top
just after the air box cover and before the accordian tube? right

i think i cleaned the IAT as well.. that the sensor lookin thing on the air box cover itself.. i used the contact cleaner there as well.

but now i got a CEL.. so what went wrong, or do i just need to clear the codes? (which i dont know how to do myself )

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Clear the codes and take the car for a good run to burn up all the cramp that you loosened with the cleaning.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
CEL cleared, i removed fuse #4 and #11 to reset the computer, then relearned the idle.. took it for good spirited drive around town then out on the highway.

i am noticing increased performance, better throttle response and improved low end pickup. could be all in my head though. lol

i need to drive around a bit more to determine if it helped with fuel economy.. and i'll get back to you guys

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by timstour:
Originally posted by mystique97:
I have a 97 ZETEC ATX and it gets bad gas mileage when its warm it gets about 220-250 MPG (about 355-400 KPG) and now since its getting colder I'm at like 170-180 MPG (270-290 KPG) and its at a quarter tank left! I dont know whats up thats weak for a 4 banger I calculate I should get about over at least 300 MPG or greater (482 KPG) well of course this is mostly city driving too, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know, thanks.

Not to be facetious, but I'm assuming its miles per tank, not per gallon! Cuz if you get that kind of mpg, I'll buy your car for double what you want for it!

Seriously, our US brethrin seem to get roughly the same miles per tank as we do clicks. We're not so much colder, so why do we do so poorly? From most of the posts I've read, we should be getting something like 500km per tank as 'normal'. Anything else, well, just bites!

BTW, I get about 400km a tank if its highway, but it can drop to 300 for a city tank. I think thats pretty crappy, since my other car (Nissan) gets that with a much smaller tank. I'm starting to wonder if I have bad cats, or a screwed computer, yadda, yadda.

Anyhoo, you have my sympathies.

haha oops I did mean PER TANK thanks for pointing that out lol...and yes I do expect a lot more from a TANK from that car cuz 1. It's a 4 banger so to rephrase my post.... I have a 97 ZETEC ATX and it gets bad gas mileage when its warm it gets about 220-250 MPT (about 355-400 KPT) and now since its getting colder I'm at like 170-180 MPT (270-290 KPT) and its at a quarter tank left! I dont know whats up thats weak for a 4 banger I calculate I should get about over at least 300 MPT or greater (482 KPT) well of course this is mostly city driving too, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know, thanks.

The last time I filled up I was at maybe 200-210 MPT (321-337 KPT) and it had almost 2 gallons left and that was also within 11 days for city driving.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Here's a link to the information that has been collected by the rear wheel drive Volvo folks (owners of the 700 and 900 series). http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/Fuel_LubricantData.htm

It provides alot of information on what type of cleaning does what and in witch way it helps. Theses guys are used to high mileage car. Being part of the 200,000 mile club is typical.

I hope it helps.

Eric

PT Cruiser Limited 2002 MTX of course! Mystique 1998 V6 MTX Sold.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard