Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I haven't read the entire thread but let me shed some light onto the situation. I was having a problem with poor gas milage lately, only getting 350-400km per tank with my SVT. I cleaned the IAT and MAF sensors, gapped my plugs to .054" (were .052"), reinstalled the stock air box and ran fuel injector cleaner with my last 2 fill ups. The result is now 500-550Km per tank with a SVT in December weather with a 60/40 city/highway split. Something major is definately wrong with your cars if you are only getting 200-250Km per tank. This is NOT normal.

99 CSVT Green/Tan # 84 of 2760 Built on Wednesday, September 30, 1998 15.376 @ 92.00 MPH Stock 75,000Km 96 Contour GL 2.5L V6 ATX 170,000Km
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by kscontourkid:
    I hate to kill the party guys but i don't know how you could possibly get that bad of mileage. I have a sort of fix for your low end problem though. I have a 99 spt v6 5speed and yes there was quite a bit of low end weakness when i bought it...stock. I did two things the first is up to you its free but youll here the engine a lot. remove the silencer in the intake. that will help just a little. second this is the must do car sounds better but also has a lot more low end. I split the rear exhaust at the rear axle into a ypipe (dual exhaust) and put a flowmaster 40series muffler on each side. The minute i rolled out of the shop i noticed there was almost literally no need to apply throttle to get the car moving just slowly (not snail slow) let out the clutch and it would go (never stalled). that cost me $360.00 period.(labor the whole shibang) That sorted the low end problem out and I have noticed a small increase in gas mileage(what i used to get without the AC on i now can easily get with it on full blast!) anyway hope that helps but i still cant figure how you are getting such low mileage i get at least 200 "miles" per tank. and i fill up at quarter tank(10-11 or so gallons from the 14 gal tank) and when i say the least im talking about when i drive lead footed (also parking lot racing yes organized and fully legal) with AC on! (long story short AC comp. pump clutch crapped out on me AC on full all the time was the only temp fix i could find) anyway I thought that was bad gas mileage. If i baby the thing i can get in excess of 250 miles per tank in city driving. well hope you find a solution and if you do please someone tell me what in the world it was you guys got me fooled. hope the exhaust thing helps feedback would be great. cheers

Doing a dual cat-back set up isn't going to help them here. It's a nice mod, and shows peformance improvement and gas mileage. However, these cars are having some severe issues, most likely in the engine area. Now I don't think I read it, but have any of you guys tried cleaning the maf w/ electric cleaner? This is rather easy, and may be worth a shot.

99 Black Contour SE Sport
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I don't know what to say about your car. Sounds like you just got one that doesn't get good fuel economy, it happens you know. My grandma had two identical 1997 Lincoln Continentals, and the silver one got 3mpg more than the white one on the highway.(with the same person driving the car) The dealer could never find anything wrong with the white one, and the mileage never improved in the entire 30K she put on the car.

On a side note, I recently had a strange experience with my car that I really can't explain. I bought my car in August of 2002 with 12K on it. Since then, I've done mostly city driving, but when I would do some highway driving I only got 25 mpg or so. That was in winter, in summer with the A/C on, I got 21 mpg. I took the car to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong. I just learned to live with it, but it always made me wonder because my Dad's Lincoln got 6 mpg better on the highway. Well, since I've been at school, my car has basically sat in the driveway. When I went to take it back for finals on Monday, it got 34 mpg on the highway. I was truly amazed, and I can't explain the mileage increase.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by kscontourkid:
I have a sort of fix for your low end problem though. I have a 99 spt v6 5speed and yes there was quite a bit of low end weakness when i bought it...stock. I did two things the first is up to you its free but youll here the engine a lot. remove the silencer in the intake. that will help just a little. second this is the must do car sounds better but also has a lot more low end. I split the rear exhaust at the rear axle into a ypipe (dual exhaust) and put a flowmaster 40series muffler on each side.

That's kinda my thinking. Not that I'll be removing anything. I'm assuming that by 'silencer' in the intake, you mean the gutting the precats?
But, I'm leaning more to the cats being the issue, ie a blockage caused by deterioration. We have really tight emissions regs in Ontario, so no cat is not an option (I don't think you're saying that, exactly, BTW).
Also, this is my daily driver. I would prefer the car is quiet, rather than loud, so the resonator and muffler have to stay.

Also, I have to say, a twin tail pipe, or even catback wouldn't be netting me the kind of hp or economy I'm missing. Remember, our cars are running worse than stock. I shouldn't need an expensive exhaust to compensate for a problem. I might get one to increase my hp, but not to mask other issues I am clearly having.

But good suggestion, thanks. I'll keep everyone informed if I find a fix, as I hope Desiboy will. And keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers,
Tim

FYI: I have indeed made sure the MAF is clean.

M
I am Canuckian
I am Canuckian
M
Originally posted by timstour:

That's kinda my thinking. Not that I'll be removing anything. I'm assuming that by 'silencer' in the intake, you mean the gutting the precats?

Actually Tim I think he is referring to the intake resonator located in the fender well.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mbb41:
Originally posted by timstour:

Actually Tim I think he is referring to the intake resonator located in the fender well.

K. Well, same applies, I think. I mentioned a little later that if possible, I dont wanna take out the resonator, cuz I need as much (reasonable) sound damping as possible.

BTW, all, this is a great thread! It's pulling together a good list of all the possible causes lots of us are having with fuel economy and low end power. Kudos to all. Keep it coming....

T

A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Change air filter, clean TB, Use a cleaner to clean the UIM. Didnt see if you cleaned the IAC, check the fuel lines, make sure there are no leaks, also check the fuel filter, its easy to get to and get off, simple look under back right passenger side, pull white plastic clips, and then disconnect.

My 95 got around 200 per tank, and my 99 gets about 250-260 per tank. (miles that is)

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
i'm glad a started this thread, like timstour said, alot of good information has been put together. i am definetly giving alot of these ideas a shot. at this point anything i do can only improve things.. so why not.

thanks alot guys.. i'll keep u posted with any updates

98 cabernet red Mystique ATX LS sport Duratec hit up my Car Profile for details
M
I am Canuckian
I am Canuckian
M
Well I have now had a chance to read through the thread. My mileage has always been pretty good in both my Contiques. The Mystique has had one tank in the last year do 730kms. The Contour regulary gets 500kms per tank and that it definatley with spirited driving. However I noticed there was a substantial decline in the mileage of the Mystique lately. Now last night I think I found the culprit. I have a CTA intake on the car. There was a gap right at the TB and the flex hose. It had happened sometime ago it would seem as there was some dust on the silicon hose that should have had the pipe in it. Anyway since fixing this up last night there is a noticeable amount more pep. It was the good ole frog boiling in water thing. Didn't know how much gusto was gone till I had it back again. I suspect that my mileage will be on the increase again and the moral of the story is to check for air and vaccum leaks as they can reak havoc with mileage too.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
    Hey all with high miles 75k+ or so this just dawned on me. there is a product out there called "Restore." i think thats it anyway it comes in a can i think its an oil treatment it does unbelievable things. it completely restores power to at least factory and is not very expensive. it will increase gas mileage slightly. its just another suggestion for you all to try i highly recomend it. it did wonders for my car. try it tell me if you get any good results like i have.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard