Originally posted by kscontourkid:
I have a sort of fix for your low end problem though. I have a 99 spt v6 5speed and yes there was quite a bit of low end weakness when i bought it...stock. I did two things the first is up to you its free but youll here the engine a lot. remove the silencer in the intake. that will help just a little. second this is the must do car sounds better but also has a lot more low end. I split the rear exhaust at the rear axle into a ypipe (dual exhaust) and put a flowmaster 40series muffler on each side.

That's kinda my thinking. Not that I'll be removing anything. I'm assuming that by 'silencer' in the intake, you mean the gutting the precats?
But, I'm leaning more to the cats being the issue, ie a blockage caused by deterioration. We have really tight emissions regs in Ontario, so no cat is not an option (I don't think you're saying that, exactly, BTW).
Also, this is my daily driver. I would prefer the car is quiet, rather than loud, so the resonator and muffler have to stay.

Also, I have to say, a twin tail pipe, or even catback wouldn't be netting me the kind of hp or economy I'm missing. Remember, our cars are running worse than stock. I shouldn't need an expensive exhaust to compensate for a problem. I might get one to increase my hp, but not to mask other issues I am clearly having.

But good suggestion, thanks. I'll keep everyone informed if I find a fix, as I hope Desiboy will. And keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers,
Tim

FYI: I have indeed made sure the MAF is clean.