Originally posted by desiboy1530:
uim.. forgive me for being slow.. but what is the 'on the engine' method of cleaning? or any method cleaning for that matter?

Here is the info. Haven't tried this myself yet, but I would rather do this first than take off the manifold. (With my luck, if I did take it off, I'd strip the bolts!)

http://contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

Plus there's lots of advice and variations on how to do this from Big Jim in the forums. I figure try it, and if it doesn't work, then pull off the manifold for cleaning. One thing, on this forum, the guys will 'walk the walk and not just talk the talk' so to speak. Lots of friendly helpful people, and if asked right, some of them will actually drive over to help you out!

As far as the cat, that's my next job, after the tstat. I dont wanna spend like $400 for the Ford cat, so I might buy a universal (about C$140) and get a small shop to fit it. That's probably the cheapest (legal) option I can think of.
I'm not gonna gut the precats yet though. I know some people have had issues passing the emissions tests with gutted precats.

Good luck.
Tim