Originally posted by desiboy1530:
...and as for sympathies. thanks but solutions is what i'm lookin for..lol

So am I. But meantime, we can feel a little sorry for ourselves, can't we?

Mines a 98SE 2.5 ATX, 130000Km, btw.

Dunno if you have any power issues as well. Not exactly thread hijacking, but similar problems may result in crappy fuel economy AND a bogging engine. I wouldn't mind the fuel consumption so much, if I had the power. So...

Actually, been trying to diagnose (fuel use) for a while. Some thoughts so far (haven't tried em all, but I'm working on it) No particular order...

No CELs now. So, it shouldn't be running at the 'backup' setting. New O2 sensors got rid of my CELs.Also, have new OEM wires and plugs, and PCV valve.

Dragging rear/parking brake (drum)? Not enough to steer the car on stopping, but enough to slow it a little. (Doubtful- cant hear any real grind, but the car is a sod to push, but then, its a heavy car!)

UIM dirty? I'm gonna try the 'on the engine' method, but my tb is pretty clean, so I dunno what that will do. (EGR passages behind TB may be blocked though, which wont help.)

Weak fuel pump? Car does bog down on low fuel, but it isn't particularly good on a full tank either.

CPS? I know I have intermittent starting issues, so I'm gonna replace the CKS, and for C$30, may as well do the CPS as well.

IMRC- not worried. I'm looking for power before the secondaries open.

Blocked main cat? - this seems most likely. Not Precat, since I have no codes hard or pending. But I feel like I'm driving through mud all the time, and if the cat is blocked, it might cause the engine to lose power/use more fuel.

Engine running too cold? - again, may leave the A/F and timing in the 'startup' setting, which is rich by default. So, a new T-stat this week.

Good job I like puzzles, otherwise I'd have torn my hair out by now!

BTW, not saying that this will necessarily improve the fuel efficiency, but it might help to get the power you'd expect with that much fuel consumption. Personally, I'd settle for sedate performance, if I was getting over 30MPG.

Hope this helps. And if you find a fix, lemme know!

Good luck,
T