Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Mohaj:
I ultimately would like to build a Volant style cold air intake for the car, I have a friend who welds, so all I really need to do is figure out the best angle of attack for building the rest. But realistically this won't happen for a few more years. I plan on hanging on to this car and having some fun with it, currently saving up for a Volvo V50 or something along those lines.

So has anyone installed one of these intakes on a CSVT that GMK builds? Difficult? What do you do with the pre-exsisting cold air intake parts in the wheel well?

Should I change my screenname to ChrisSVT???

no too many chris' with svt's

99' SVT #811 of 2760 Born on january, 12, 1999. "This may have been his only shot at number one, but he just sucks on so many levels that I couldnâ??t even let him win a contest of suckiness."
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
the KKm has impoded, it happened to me (though mild) a few years a go when i bought mine used...so i switched to the K&N...stout or not, it happened, i have yet to see the same situations with a K&N or a Green Filter (which im using now)

As for the MAF adapter itself, it has been stated plent times over that its a great adapter...just not worht the price....hence the reason people choice the generic, so you can save money....does exactly what it needs to do with less price.

Over all you got a good choice, but id stick with green or K&N filter....but, for price, i would go witht he cheap MAF adapters and K&N witht he rubbermain heat shield...will do the same thing for cheaper.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
The BAT MAF adapter costs $39 whether you buy it from BAT, SP Motorsports or CTA Motorsports. The KKM MAF adapter costs $44.95 from KKM. The difference is $5.95.

The expensive MAF adapter is the Mirko Racing at $95. But you can choice from three anodized colors.

A Rubbermaid waste basket costs $23.88 from Samââ?¬â?¢s Club (without the gasket). You can only buy one size that will hold a K & N filter AND fit into the engine bay ââ?¬â?? not ideal. The custom made air box costs $40 and IT IS custom sized as well as being made of TIG welded aluminum with a ceramic coating. The difference is $16.12.

The Green Filter model #2029 (for the SVT Contour) costs $60.61 + shipping from Mirko Racing. The K & N model RE-0950 costs $39.26 (with free shipping) from 4filters.com. The savings is $21.35 (before shipping). But if you swear that the Green Filter is that much better I�ll try it for myself.

Iââ?¬â?¢ve just spent $598 on the MSDS headers and Y-Pipe (group buy price). I will spend another $100 having the Y-Pipe optimized and then another $200 to have the headers and Y-Pipe coated by Jet-Hot. My Bosal Cat-Back exhaust system cost me $495. I am sending my new ($400) SVT upper intake manifold to Extrude Hone to have it max-honed and port-matched to the lower intake manifold, cost $285. I bought a new ââ?¬Å?returnlessââ?¬Â lower intake manifold for $400 (with fuel rail, fuel injectors & Pro-Flow 75mm MAF meter) and Iââ?¬â?¢m having it optimized by Buckshot Motorsports, cost $160. Then there is the optimizing of my stock SVT throttle body (by Buckshot Motorsports) $65 and the new BAT inlet pipe $75.

So after spending $2,778 on intake and exhaust components you think I�m going to go cheap and save $22.07 on the air box! Remember it�s all of the little things that make the big difference. So you have to ask yourself, is it all about doing the job cheap or doing the job right? If you tell me that something is better, I�ll listen. If you�re just telling me it�s cheaper, I have no interest.

Last point. I paid $7,500 more for my new 1998 SVT Contour than I did for my new 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed. Was it worth it? Oh YES! I�ve already spent more than that just trying to make the SE half as nice as the SVT was stock.

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Im not telling you anything....im was telling you why so many other poeple go the cheap route, not questioning YOUR reasoning behind your decision...What you do and your reasoningbehind it, is your's and i respect that.....ask DemonSVT tough and he will tell you that the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff, and i have dynoed 2 intakes my KKM, and the current KKM MAF adapter i have with green filter and rubbermaind heat shield....Nad i maybe saw a 2-3 hp diffrence, but still well withing the error of the dyno.

Also i can pick up a small rubbermaid trash can from walmart for 5 bucks here localy, or from target for 8.97$.

Its nice that you have money to spend on your car, unforutanatly, majority of people on this site are students and just have the cash to do things they way they want to, so we offer them other tried and true options, that are cheaper than other things....you have to understand that a lot of these cars are handme downs too.

its nice that your doing things, what you call "right", but when it comes to intakes everything we have talked about is "right" not just your way.

Lupe

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 11/24/04 10:40 PM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
So we cna quite hyjacking this thread and bring us back to subject, Contact Grand Master Kahn on NECO (or here in CEG) and he can e-mail you picks of the intake.

Also, if you want to, COntact Lost Racer on NECO and he just put it on his car recently.

And it is a TRUE cold air intake system, that uses, your MAF adpter.

PM GMK for infomation you need.

Also he can find you Dnyo graphs on NECO witht he intake.

Lupe

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 11/24/04 10:52 PM.

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I came to my opinion by reading this web site over the last 6-1/2 plus years. Just read my list of modifications - it looks a lot like this http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=perf&Number=722314&fpart=&PHPSESSID= don't you think? In fact the reason that I started with a KKM intake was because of the CEG, that and it was the only aftermarket intake made for our cars for a very long time. I wouldn't even have known that the KKM intake existed if it weren't for the CEG.

I knew I would be slammed for my original post, but I wanted to offer a new CEG member an alternative to the plastic waste basket method.

And I just can't bring myself to put a trash can under the hood of my car. Don't we get enough jokes about Fords being garbage already?

The Original Owner of 1998 SVT Contour #3384 of 6535, Toreador Red/Midnight Blue, Assembled September 3rd, 1997 Also the Original Owner of a 1998.5 Contour SE Sport V6 5-speed, Vibrant White/Greystone Sport Cloth, Assembled August 6th, 1998
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
i don;t see where you were getting slamed..considering i stated clearly that i respect you opinon, and i my last post i stated that, i was explaining why so many people choice the cheap method...I was not arguing why YOU should chose the cheap method.

but suit yourself....if you feel you were getting slamed then theres nothing i can do about it....I hope your not this defensive all the time.

Lupe

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I got a MAF adapter from Duratecperformance for $20...I could get two for the price of the KKM...

A rubbermaid trash can that fits PERFECTLY is under $5. Where you got your price is beyond me.

Not slammin you either, but a waste basket heat shield is not nearly as bad as it sounds. A lot of people like mine, and i just say "it's only a modified trash can". Nobody can tell unless it has a sign on it that says "Hey look at me, I'm a trash can". It's called being resourceful and for the price AND differences between both finished products, I'll stick with my plastic.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If done right, the trash can heatshield can look like part of a professional intake.

The reason I knock the KKM(besides the imploding filter) is that it is just a MAF adapter and a filter. How does that look any better than than a large K&N and a duratecperformance adapter? Why not just buy the better performing K&N filter and separate adapter and save a few bucks?

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
thanks for the recommendations! BTW i can be emailed at GrandMasterKhan@gmail.com

or contacted either through the CEG or FastCougar Private Messages through the SN of GrandMasterKhan

I welcome any questions you may have about my intake system or about custom applications.

Kenneth

Cougar V6 MTX: GMK Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake : SVT UIM : SVT LIM : SVT TB : MSDS Headers & Ypipe : TruBendz 2.5" Borla Single Exhaust : Soild Front Motor Mount : & more
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard