Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by acrdklr:
actually i meant stand alone wireless internet with out having to connect to your cell. it is about the same speed range as dsl. i think i shouldn't have read this thread because now i am getting all kinds of ideas on how to set this up. damn......no money right now.

Ahh, I see...

I know what you're talkin about, a dude in Texas had the Verizon PCMCIA card and used Earthlink for his internet, around 200-300Kbps. Don't know what he was payin/month.

Another guy had the T-Mobile PCMCIA card and used T-Mobile internet. It connected around 190-200Kbps, he was paying $39.99/month (the card cost $299 to start, though).

I just got the data cord for my cell and used it as a wirless modem with MSN until I found out T-Mobile offered free internet. Only drawback was the free stuff was limited to only recieving TCP port 80 (so no hotmail, etc.). On my phone MSN connected at 9.6Kbps and the GPRS T-Mobile connected at 50Kbps (samsung w/serial data kit), the dude with the PC card tried his Sony Ericsson using IR, it connected the same as his PC card (but was still limited to port 80).

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I was also thinking about putting a carputer in the my contour aswell. I currently have a shuttle pc, which is a small form factor pc in a little box. It does have a slight case of heat issues bit it isn't bad. Celeron 1.3ghz, 512MBram, 40GB hdd.

I was also thinking along the lines of a 7" lilliput touchscreen because of it's value pricewise. With all these ideas swirling in my mind I am still pondering a way to install everything. Interesting post, Im looking forward to see some pics of the install

Adrian 1999 CSVT, Tropic Green #1925/2760 Bosal Exhaust / B&M Shifter / Quad projector 4300K HID
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by Guntaker:
I was also thinking about putting a carputer in the my contour aswell. I currently have a shuttle pc, which is a small form factor pc in a little box. It does have a slight case of heat issues bit it isn't bad. Celeron 1.3ghz, 512MBram, 40GB hdd.

I was also thinking along the lines of a 7" lilliput touchscreen because of it's value pricewise. With all these ideas swirling in my mind I am still pondering a way to install everything. Interesting post, Im looking forward to see some pics of the install

Kenwood has a touch screen that just a screen alone it's a 7inch and it retails for $450 Candaian. I was looking at it last week and the colour is great on it. That might be a screen worth checking out.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
L
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
L
t-mobile connects at 56k and it costs 29 bucks now, and if you are a t-mobile customer then it will cost you 19 bucks

NEED AN SVT REAR BUMPER!!! pm me
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by NVS Mystique:

Kenwood has a touch screen that just a screen alone it's a 7inch and it retails for $450 Candaian. I was looking at it last week and the colour is great on it. That might be a screen worth checking out.

Aaron

Aaron, which retailer carries the Kenwood?

Adrian 1999 CSVT, Tropic Green #1925/2760 Bosal Exhaust / B&M Shifter / Quad projector 4300K HID
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
A Kenwood or Clarion are not the greatest choice for a pc. They usualy have low resolution and slow refresh rates. Not ideal.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
Hey, this is my first post here, yay. But I want to do that in my car, well its not mine yet, but it will be soon. I dont know if the layout has changed over the years, but I can not find a good spot to put a screen in my 95 contour se. I got motivated after one of my friends did it in his subaru, its pretty cool. So if you could post pics as you go through the install, thatd be awesome.

1995 ford contour v6 5 speed , even though its not mine yet... http://www.cardomain.com/id/hyperlitenerd
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Once you hook it up, you might as well hook it up to your car stereo too. Get a 250gb drive and viola! a low cost 250gb mp3 player.

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by ouch:
Once you hook it up, you might as well hook it up to your car stereo too. Get a 250gb drive and viola! a low cost 250gb mp3 player.

That would be a great idea. Seems like it would be the most useful move.. I have an older deck in my car and I would most likely have to upgrade since it doesn't have an AUX inputs

G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Chris Sontag:
Hey, this is my first post here, yay. But I want to do that in my car, well its not mine yet, but it will be soon. I dont know if the layout has changed over the years, but I can not find a good spot to put a screen in my 95 contour se. I got motivated after one of my friends did it in his subaru, its pretty cool. So if you could post pics as you go through the install, thatd be awesome.

Welcome to the CEG Chris,
The http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=25 forum has quite a few pics of installs in various different applications but I too havn't seen a contour with a carputer Once again, welcome!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard